[SOLVED] Wait For Ryzen 5000?

ysDlexia

Prominent
Oct 13, 2020
Hey all!
Recently, my motherboard - which was about 8 years old - finally croaked. Since I’ll have to replace the motherboard, I figured it was time to ditch my Intel Core i7 3770 and switch to AMD’s Ryzen CPUs.
I had in mind to go with the Ryzen 5 3600X, but since AMD announced the 5000 series, should I wait for the 5600X?
I expect my GPU (GTX 970) to be a bottleneck if I go with the 5600X, on top of having to wait for the budget B450 boards to become compatible with Ryzen 5000.
Do you guys think it would be worth it to wait for the 5600X and then upgrade my GPU at a later stage, or go with the 3600X?

Solution
Hey all!
Recently, my motherboard - which was about 8 years old - finally croaked. Since I’ll have to replace the motherboard, I figured it was time to ditch my Intel Core i7 3770 and switch to AMD’s Ryzen CPUs.
I had in mind to go with the Ryzen 5 3600X, but since AMD announced the 5000 series, should I wait for the 5600X?
I expect my GPU (GTX 970) to be a bottleneck if I go with the 5600X, on top of having to wait for the budget B450 boards to become compatible with Ryzen 5000.
Do you guys think it would be worth it to wait for the 5600X and then upgrade my GPU at a later stage, or go with the 3600X?
Also keep in mind that Ryzen 5000 will come out more costly for the same processor tier.

So whether to wait also depends a bit...
Hey all!
Also keep in mind that Ryzen 5000 will come out more costly for the same processor tier.

So whether to wait also depends a bit on your processing needs as well as budget. The thing is, for most gaming at higher resolutions (1440p and up) a 5600X will be bottlenecked just as harshly by the GPU (even most top tier ones) as a 3600X. Meaning: waiting to pay more and you're still going to be waiting for the GPU most of the time.

E-Sports-type gaming should benefit, though, with a high end GPU at ultra high refresh and FPS especially at lower resolution. It takes a specially dedicated player type to appreciate even that, though.

But if you have a need to improve performance for content creation and productivity apps (video rendering, graphics arts, math simulations etc.) it might easily be well worth your while to wait.

Solution
Having owned a 3000 series AMD cpu, I don’t feel the need to upgrade whatsoever. As previously stated, you won’t be disappointed. Great gaming CPU’s.

For a price premium you can get a 5000 at release if your budget and patience are up to the task.

No bad decision. Just where to get the most bang for the buck.