[SOLVED] Wait for x670 or get a x570

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
Hey guys building a new pc I already have all my parts accept for cpu and mobo I’m wondering do I get a x570 rn and pair it with a 5950x or wait for x670

Solution
X670 (AM5 socket) is most likely to use DDR5. I second that it would highly be unlikely that 5950x would be supported.
By then there would probably be a 6950x anyways.
Play the waiting game at your own risk. You may end up not being able to buy anything at all if the global silicon shortage continues.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't believe X670 will support the 5950X or come out for quite some time. So X570 now would be the only option.

Next CPUs and chipsets from AMD should be AM5/DDR4, then AM5/DDR5. At least last I had heard.

Not including new threadripper CPUs, which should be sometime.

Speedy_H05

Great
Nov 16, 2020
I don't believe X670 will support the 5950X or come out for quite some time. So X570 now would be the only option.

Next CPUs and chipsets from AMD should be AM5/DDR4, then AM5/DDR5. At least last I had heard.

Not including new threadripper CPUs, which should be sometime.
Also I’m well aware the x670 most likely support the 5950x

I need one now for the most part but if it’s gonna be a revolutionary diffrence where it will make the x570 irrelevant then I can try to wait
If you need something now, then get the best thing you can afford.

Asking the "should I wait for X" is going to just kick the can down the road because the X670 comes out and you may be going "should I get an X670 now or wait for an X770?"

InvalidError

Titan
I thought 5 years was pushing it
I used my i5-3470 for almost nine years, now I have an i5-11400. I upgraded mainly because all projections point toward components getting even more expensive than they already were probably most of the way to 2023. Didn't want to risk delaying my upgrade much longer and possibly having my system die in the middle of a component price surge without a viable backup. Since I bought my parts, the build cost has already gone up $100 due to parts going out of stock.

X670 (AM5 socket) is most likely to use DDR5. I second that it would highly be unlikely that 5950x would be supported.
By then there would probably be a 6950x anyways.
Play the waiting game at your own risk. You may end up not being able to buy anything at all if the global silicon shortage continues.

Solution
I thought 5 years was pushing it

I don't think 10 years is pushing it at all.

People still managing with i7's from 2013 absolutely fine perfoemance wise.

The 5950 has 4 x the core/thread count, then another 40% odd ipc on each core. In essence it's at least 6 x as powerful as a Haswell generation i7.

I don't think 10 years is pushing it at all performance, you're talking about a cpu so overpowered for your current needs that it's hard to gauge.

Its not what I'd do personally, spending silly money now with regards to future proofing only works up to a certain point in my experience, a lot of people still get the itch a few years down the line simply because they're on an outdated platform even though performance is still fine.

I'm still on a gen 1 ryzen 7, no plans to upgrade because it still does absolutely everything I could need without blinking.

Reactions: Speedy_H05

InvalidError

Titan
Its not what I'd do personally, spending silly money now with regards to future proofing only works up to a certain point in my experience
Five years is the future-proofing I would plan for. Beyond that, I would be likely to get tempted by updated IOs and other not necessarily performance-specific stuff.

Over-spending a ton on a system is going to suck real hard if it ends up dying for whatever random reason sooner than expected, so I only spend a little more than necessary to grab the most likely "nice to haves" for the not-too-distant future, just like how I picked the 11400 over the 10400 for $30 extra since I will likely need 4.0x16 for the RTX3050/4050 I will eventually get. If my upgrade itch doesn't manifest for longer than expected, that is a bonus.

Same, its the reason why I went for the 5900x instead of 5950x. After 5 years, the IPC improvement of CPUs will be much more, but that also begs the question if we can even shrink further down than 1nm. Going smaller than that, it becomes exponentially costlier to make CPUs and hence, financially infeasible for the general consumer to buy. There may be a good chance that we switch to another technology all together.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Technology is already here. 3D stacking of silicon and multi-chiplet. So they might stop shrinking the nodes, but increase yields as much as possible and build multiple process nodes into a single package (which AMD also already does). No reason to shrink certain internal features further. AMD already cramming more SRAM on top of the CPU. Intel tested this out with Broadwell a while back adding 128MB of additional DRAM on die. SRAM running at the speed of the cores, quite a bit better.

Also have their big little approach for power efficiency which both AMD and Intel have on the roadmap. Also have Apple getting into the mix with the M1, a general switch to ARM is not out of the question, or even hybrid chips that do both natively.

Still going to be a long while before they jump to anything revolutionary, they have a lot to play with now.