[SOLVED] Wait to DDR5?

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
In principle, I plan to wait and buy a new computer for a new generation, so that it will be relevant for as long as possible.

What I have today is pretty old and it's also one of the reasons I'm waiting ...

Now, is there any chance that by the end of 2020 it will be possible to buy Ryzen's next generation processors + new boards and video cards?

I also realized that just a year after AMD was going to spend a new generation with another resident, and probably would come with DDR5 as well.

The thing is that the DDR5 will also be a new transition and I am looking for this significant transition.

Today I have a DDR3, not is it that every year there is a new DDR on the market.

what do you think?

Solution
Depends on what you need your PC for, work, gaming... DDR5 wo't make a big a change in gaming as you might think. If you have a average CPU and GPU you can have all the DDR5 you want !!!

My personal feeling is for DDR5 you will need new Mobo, bios etc etc and there is no way I want to be an early adopter, let the bugs and wrinkles get sotred out so then it is at LEAST 18 months to 2 years from now. And then there is the new cpu and gpu and and and ...... you end up chasing rainbows forever
The only person who CAN decide is you.... for example I will skip the 3000 gen Ryzen, not because they are bad but paying 350€ for 10% gain is not worth it. I mostly game in single player so if I get 100 or 110 fps is not worth the money.

However when the 4000 cpus come then I might get 20-25% gain.... then hell ya!!! DDR5 is in my opinion at least 1 year away, as most new CPU. GPU releases will also be pushed back due to the current Corona crisis. Many people have lost their jobs and the world is heading for recession. I would invest in a good DDR4 platform now and enjoy it.

The problems here are very simple compared to the reality of many people in the world today...

Stay safe...

Last edited:

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
The only person who CAN decide is you.... for example I will skip the 3000 gen Ryzen, not because they are bad but paying 350€ for 10% gain is not worth it. I mostly game in single player so if I get 100 or 110 fps is not worth the money.

However when the 4000 cpus come then I might get 20-25% gain.... then hell ya!!! DDR5 is in my opinion at least 1 year away, as most new CPU. GPU releases will also be pushed back due to the current Corona crisis. Many people have lost their jobs and the world is heading for recession. I would invest in a good DDR4 platform now and enjoy it.

The problems here are very simple compared to the reality of many people in the world today...

Stay safe...

So we are in the end of DDR4.. so why dont wait to DDR5 in the next year?

Depends on what you need your PC for, work, gaming... DDR5 wo't make a big a change in gaming as you might think. If you have a average CPU and GPU you can have all the DDR5 you want !!!

My personal feeling is for DDR5 you will need new Mobo, bios etc etc and there is no way I want to be an early adopter, let the bugs and wrinkles get sotred out so then it is at LEAST 18 months to 2 years from now. And then there is the new cpu and gpu and and and ...... you end up chasing rainbows forever

Solution