Wait with SSD to SATA-600?

vsloth

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a new computer, and tipping between x2 HHD in Raid 0, or a single SSD + storage HHD.
The Mobo i'm buying does support SATA-600, but when I browse the SSD's, I see the only support SATA 300.

- Isen't it worth waiting until the SSD is on the SATA-600 standard, and then go with a ordinary HHD until then, or what?

Thanks in advance :)

If you can wait, I'd probably just hold out until you can find a sata-6 SSD. For the time being, you could go with a WD black, which is fast and then when you get a SSD, you can use it then for storage. However, I do believe that there may be a few SSD's out there that support sata-6:

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6911/

There are very few SSD's right now that can exceed the speed of 3Gbit/sec SATA, and the ones that can are very expensive. If you buy an SSD whose transfer rates are below 300MB/sec, then there's no reason not to use 3Gbit/sec SATA.

The other thing to keep in mind is that for most people the biggest reason that SSDs perform so much better than hard drives isn't because of their transfer rates (which are only 2-3 times faster than a hard drive), but because of their access times (which are 100 times faster than a hard drive). SSDs will have just as fast an access time no matter which version of SATA you use.

G

Regardless, prices fall, so if you don't specifically need one right now, wait a bit until after you got the money, then you'd either have a better drive (faster) or one with better technology (eg: lower power consumption due to lower die size)