Question Waiting for a 16TB SSD...

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I currently have a 4TB internal SSD, it's a Samsung QVO and I have less than 1TB left of storage.

I must reiterate that I have this OCD about having only ONE internal HD. It annoys me when I have more than one. It has to be one. I also delete nothing, which is why I wnat a very large SSD. Games and movies are getting larger and larger in size.

I know Samsung makes an 8TB for around $650.

I want to know if I should buy the 8TB or just wait for the 16TB.

The most important question is, how long do I have to wait to be able to buy a hopefully Samsung 16TB internal SSD for around $800.

If it's a few years out, then I have no choice but to get the 8TB instead. I want my SSD to last me a very long time, which is why I want to go for the 16TB.

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have a 4TB internal SSD, it's a Samsung QVO and I have less than 1TB left of storage.

I must reiterate that I have this OCD about having only ONE internal HD. It annoys me when I have more than one. It has to be one. I also delete nothing, which is why I wnat a very large SSD. Games and movies are getting larger and larger in size.

I know Samsung makes an 8TB for around $650.

I want to know if I should buy the 8TB or just wait for the 16TB.

The most important question is, how long do I have to wait to be able to buy a hopefully Samsung 16TB internal SSD for around $800.

If it's a few years out, then I have no choice but to get the 8TB instead. I want my SSD to last me a very long time, which is why I want to go for the 16TB.
Movies don't benefit from SSD speeds. Put them on a spinning disk.

You may be waiting some time for this to happen, given where inflation and the general world economy is at. Prob go with 8TB and start there.

I must reiterate that I have this OCD about having only ONE internal HD. It annoys me when I have more than one. It has to be one. I also delete nothing, which is why I wnat a very large SSD.

This IMO, is a recipe for disaster. What if your one SSD fails? Then you are screwed. Having some back/redundancy helps a lot. Even a drive specifically for games, will mean you don't have to download and reinstall them if you do have a non recoverable issue with your main drive. Having two or more drives makes sense in this ever growing data fest continues with games hitting the 80-100gb mark. You just never know.

You could stick in a M2 SATA drive of about 512gb for a boot drive, and main apps you might use. Then the larger SATA QVO for games, and/or movie files etc.

USAFRet

Titan
I want my SSD to last me a very long time, which is why I want to go for the 16TB.
The SSD (either 4-8-16TB) will likely last longer than your current system.
So with a whole new system, you'll likely have to do a full OS reinstall.

Given everything on one drive, this will be problematic in keeping everything in place.

Further, how is your current backup situation?