Question Wake from Sleep with USB mouse (both wired and wireless) only works when laptop is plugged in ?

alipmcg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Hello, I have a wireless mouse that connects to my Asus UX303LA laptop (on Windows 10) via its USB dongle. When the laptop is plugged in, I can wake it from sleep by clicking the mouse, but this doesn't work when the laptop is running off battery. I tried waking it with a wired USB mouse and the result is the same.

The mouse devices both have 'Allow this device to wake the computer' ticked under Power Management, so the issue is not there. Does anyone know what could be preventing their inputs from being recognised in Sleep mode? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

alipmcg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Any chance that laptop is designed to save battery power by turning OFF all the USB ports when it goes into sleep mode with no external power available?
Yeah maybe, but if I already knew that then I wouldn't be asking for help! 😉 Here are the things I'm sure of so far:
  • 'Power Off Energy Saving' is turned OFF in BIOS
  • Neither the receiver, the mouse or the USB port has 'Allow the computer to turn off this device' ticked in Device Manager.
  • 'USB selective suspend' is disabled in Power Options
  • Behaviour is the same in Linux

Last edited: