Question Wake laptop from Sleep with USB keyboard when USB port are powered off

Mar 11, 2020
Hello all,

I have a DELL Inspiron 15R 5537 which has the particularity to power off USB port when the lid is closed and the computer put to sleep...which is SO annoying to wake it up, as I use the laptop with an external screen/keyboard/mouse.

Nothing available in the BIOS to enable it, I've found this topic by the way: https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...ep-when-lid-is-closed-via/td-p/4206103/page/3

The guy provides a solution to use a USB Hub with external power supply, I tried but it's not working. And after thinking, I don't find the reason why it could work: the USB Hub is powered by the external plug (fine), the USB keyboard and mouse are connected to it (fine), but the USB Hub is plugged into the computer with a USB cable...not very fine, as if the computer turns off USB port on itself, how can the USB Hub provide the movement of the mouse/keyboard to wake up the computer, as the USB port is turned off by the computer? What do you think?

Do you have any idea on how I could fix my issue, I'm becoming crazy! :)

Thanks a lot.

Set the power manager to do nothing when the lid is closed. Put the system to sleep using the Windows option see if that works. Also check the USB device option and see what you can change there for power modes, you may be able to set them to always be on.

Mar 11, 2020
Hi hang-the-9!

Thanks for your reply, I've already done this with no success. Actually, here is my original post on Dell forum:
https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ssible-with-USB-mouse-keyb/m-p/7514298#M76105

Here are all the things I've done so far:
  • Enabled Wake on USB in the BIOS (A12 - up to date)
  • Enabled the USB mouse and keyboard to Wake the computer after sleep in the Devices Manager
  • Disabled the ability to power off USB Hub by Windows in the Devices Manager
  • Disabled the USB Suspending Option in the Power Management Options
  • Allowed Wake Timers to get off sleep in the Power Management Options
  • Choosed "Do not do anything" when I close the lid of my Inspiron
  • Disabled the Hibernate option
  • ...plus maybe other several options I forgot
Any workaround that I could do to enable me to put my PC to sleep and wake it up with my usb keyboard/mouse?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hi hang-the-9!

Thanks for your reply, I've already done this with no success. Actually, here is my original post on Dell forum:
https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ssible-with-USB-mouse-keyb/m-p/7514298#M76105

Here are all the things I've done so far:
  • Enabled Wake on USB in the BIOS (A12 - up to date)
  • Enabled the USB mouse and keyboard to Wake the computer after sleep in the Devices Manager
  • Disabled the ability to power off USB Hub by Windows in the Devices Manager
  • Disabled the USB Suspending Option in the Power Management Options
  • Allowed Wake Timers to get off sleep in the Power Management Options
  • Choosed "Do not do anything" when I close the lid of my Inspiron
  • Disabled the Hibernate option
  • ...plus maybe other several options I forgot
Any workaround that I could do to enable me to put my PC to sleep and wake it up with my usb keyboard/mouse?

Thanks a lot!

Seems like you already did what you could without Dell getting involved. I work on a lot of Dell systems but only the Latitude systems, all the ones seem to work fine with waking up using USB when in sleep mode.

Mar 11, 2020
Right hang-the-9. But do you think it's possible that a USB Hub with external supply can bring power to the USB port of the computer that are powered off by Dell, and wake up the computer? I mean mine is not working, but it may be because the USB Hub provides power only for the USB ports of the USB Hub, not the computer...if you see what I mean? Damn, it's so annoying...I can't change my laptop just for this reason, I need to find a workaround.

Right hang-the-9. But do you think it's possible that a USB Hub with external supply can bring power to the USB port of the computer that are powered off by Dell, and wake up the computer? I mean mine is not working, but it may be because the USB Hub provides power only for the USB ports of the USB Hub, not the computer...if you see what I mean? Damn, it's so annoying...I can't change my laptop just for this reason, I need to find a workaround.

No a USB hub would not help you.