hrishi654

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
My motherboard gigabyte b365 has wake on lan which normally works. However if power is removed, meaning I shutdown the pc, unplug it, wait for about 10min, then plug it back in, it does not wake up. For it to work again I have to turn on the PC manually for the first time and it works after that. But in another case - I shutdown the PC, unplug it, plug it back immediately without waiting for 10min, this time it will wake the PC. I want to know where the problem is and why it does not work in the 1st case but works in the 2nd case and any solution to make it work in the first case also. Just to mention I have a router with OpenWRT firmware if it helps.

Solution
My motherboard gigabyte b365 has wake on lan which normally works. However if power is removed, meaning I shutdown the pc, unplug it, wait for about 10min, then plug it back in, it does not wake up. For it to work again I have to turn on the PC manually for the first time and it works after that. But in another case - I shutdown the PC, unplug it, plug it back immediately without waiting for 10min, this time it will wake the PC. I want to know where the problem is and why it does not work in the 1st case but works in the 2nd case and any solution to make it work in the first case also. Just to mention I have a router with OpenWRT firmware if it helps.
Wake on LAN requires a very small amount of power use for the device (usually...

RealBeast

Titan
Wake on LAN requires a very small amount of power use for the device (usually the NIC) listening for its MAC address broadcast (the"magic packet"). With no power to maintain the listening, and no capacitor or battery to rely upon, the unit requires a manual start to again start listening when it is powered down.

Solution
This would be extremely dependent on the motherboard. Many motherboard have the ability to boot on power. That of course would bring the OS fully up. Wake on lan is a very special suspend option also set in the bios. I don't know how the motherboard would know to go into wake on lan mode when the power is reset.

Now your problem could also be microsoft especially if you are setting the wake on lan from the OS. Microsoft redefined a bunch of power save stuff and some bios vendors added support. This makes things even more messy since what microsoft calls wake on lan is not exactly the same as what some bios do.

So maybe get a UPS so you do not lose power. Or you could just give in and play microsofts game. You could set the machine to boot on power and then set the power save options in microsoft.

The machine in one of the microsoft sleep modes does not take much more power than the wake on lan. The biggest power draw like the monitor or video card a suspended and the cpu/memory have the clock slowed greatly