[SOLVED] Wake on lan stopped working

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I'm using Wolcmd to turn on my PC remotely from the same network. I had a batch file that I've used several times and it has stopped working. I even tried executing the command from cmd prompt in admin mode. I re downloaded wolcmd but it still didn't work. I don't think the IP of the target device has changed as there would be no reason for it to have. Both devices are windows 10. This seems to have happened after installing chrome remote desktop but I'm not sure how that would have affected it.

Solution
Wake on lan can be flakey even when it works correctly. Not sure why but sometime you must send the request a couple times. I always just thought it was a bios thing.

The largest issue with WoL is that microsoft got involved. They came out with all kinds of their own power save stuff and some bios manufacture support it. You would think WoL would always work since it it not OS dependent. The machine could be set to WoL and then boot from the network so you never know what OS boots. That is how we used it for test racks.

Some microsoft shutdown settings can affect bios settings on some motherboards. It is very frustrating to troubleshoot.

What I would first do is load wireshark on the machine and capture the WoL packet...

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Post the "batch file" you have been using.

Verify that the target device's IP has not changed.

If the device is using DHCP then the IP address could have and is likely to have changed. Especially in a multi-device network environment.

Does the following link show the use of wolcmd as you have been using the command?

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-use-wake-on-lan-on-windows-10/

the bacth file is just the command "wolcmd" followed by the target MAC and IP adresses and the port. The IP of the target device hasn't changed. The example in the link is exactly how my batch works just with my mac and IP.

Wake on lan can be flakey even when it works correctly. Not sure why but sometime you must send the request a couple times. I always just thought it was a bios thing.

The largest issue with WoL is that microsoft got involved. They came out with all kinds of their own power save stuff and some bios manufacture support it. You would think WoL would always work since it it not OS dependent. The machine could be set to WoL and then boot from the network so you never know what OS boots. That is how we used it for test racks.

Some microsoft shutdown settings can affect bios settings on some motherboards. It is very frustrating to troubleshoot.

What I would first do is load wireshark on the machine and capture the WoL packet when the machine is active. Since these are broadcast packets you should see them even when the machine is fully functional.

Wireshark should decode the packet for you as a WoL packet. What is key is a actual WoL packet is sent to the broadcast mac address (not the mac of the pc) the packet then contains the mac address of the machine that is to be woken. There technically should not be any IP headers in the packet but these appear to work. Part of the problem is many bios accept non standard wake on lan packets. Some will take packets sent to the actual mac address rather than the broadcast mac. It all depends on how closely they follow the standard.

Many of the people that write apps I think are idiots. They seem to think you have to have a IP address. Be very sure the tool you are using is sending the proper packets.

I bet your problem is the bios settings somehow got changed. You used to not be able to change bios things from the OS but this does not appear to be true anymore.

Solution