Wake on LAN with P4PE-X/SE and Netgear FA311

HI!

I am using a P4PE-X/SE with a Netgear FA311 network card (onboard
adapter is disabled) with Fecora Core 3. All components (board, adapter,
OS) should be capable of wake on LAN. Driver used is natsemi.

I have set the +5V jumper and enabled wake on keyboard, mouse and PCI in
the BIOS. Wake on keyboard and mouse works.

When shutting down, Fedora says "eth0 remains active for wake on lan".

ethtool reports wol enabled (ubg).

But when the computer is powered down, the light for this connection on
the router is off and that should stay on, AFAIR.

Also, it does not react on the magic wake-on frame being sent to its mac
address (tried 2 different tools for this).

I also tried under knoppix, because wol is supposed to work with that
for sure, but it does not either.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Thomas

HI!

Just found out, that the FA311 does not support WOL. :-((

So, I will probably buy a FA312.

Thomas

Thomas Börkel wrote:
> HI!
>
> I am using a P4PE-X/SE with a Netgear FA311 network card (onboard
> adapter is disabled) with Fecora Core 3. All components (board, adapter,
> OS) should be capable of wake on LAN. Driver used is natsemi.
>
> I have set the +5V jumper and enabled wake on keyboard, mouse and PCI in
> the BIOS. Wake on keyboard and mouse works.
>
> When shutting down, Fedora says "eth0 remains active for wake on lan".
>
> ethtool reports wol enabled (ubg).
>
> But when the computer is powered down, the light for this connection on
> the router is off and that should stay on, AFAIR.
>
> Also, it does not react on the magic wake-on frame being sent to its mac
> address (tried 2 different tools for this).
>
> I also tried under knoppix, because wol is supposed to work with that
> for sure, but it does not either.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thomas

Curious why you're using that Netgear card instead of the onboard LAN..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

>> But when the computer is powered down, the light for this connection on
>> the router is off and that should stay on, AFAIR.

This because the card loses power on power down. Boards with onboard
network adaptors usually don't have WOL connectors. That lead that
came with the Netgear needs to plug into something to work..

Bill E wrote:
>>>But when the computer is powered down, the light for this connection on
>>>the router is off and that should stay on, AFAIR.
>

> This because the card loses power on power down. Boards with onboard
> network adaptors usually don't have WOL connectors. That lead that
> came with the Netgear needs to plug into something to work..

One of the newer PCI standards (2.2?) allows cards to continue to
receive power from the bus when the system is powered down, like for
WOL, without any power connector. That Netgear may not support this though.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada