[SOLVED] Wake on lan won't work

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, I am trying to get my Pc to wake on lan so I can turn it on remotely. I have the virgin media superhub and my mobo is an as rock z170.

I have enabled wake on lan in bios and also enabled
Power on pcie
Wake from lan of the on board ethernet
And a few other settings related to WOL

I know my board supports it but it won't work for some reason.
I have also tried making rules in the firewall and also set up port forwarding on my routers settings but nothing it working.

If anyone can help that would be great I'm lost at the minute [emoji849]
Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Solution
Why would you think it was going to work. Wake on LAN means the device sending the wake signal must be on your lan and active and then send the signal to the off pc. There is no such thing as wake on WAN. There is massive amounts of misinformation by people who write guides but likely never actually tried to use it.

Short answer is to even use the hacks you see your router must allow static ARP setting which is very rare on consumer routers.

The best way to do this is with a router you can remotely access and then ask the router to send the WoL packet for you. Asus routers have this feature. The other is to use some small computer like a raspberry and leave it on remotely access it and have it send it.

Still maybe you...
Why would you think it was going to work. Wake on LAN means the device sending the wake signal must be on your lan and active and then send the signal to the off pc. There is no such thing as wake on WAN. There is massive amounts of misinformation by people who write guides but likely never actually tried to use it.

Short answer is to even use the hacks you see your router must allow static ARP setting which is very rare on consumer routers.

The best way to do this is with a router you can remotely access and then ask the router to send the WoL packet for you. Asus routers have this feature. The other is to use some small computer like a raspberry and leave it on remotely access it and have it send it.

Still maybe you should just consider using the sleep options in microsoft. There is very little power difference between this in modern machines and the WoL which keeps part of the motherboard active.

Reactions: smalltownusa
Solution