[SOLVED] Wake on LAN

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have a Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming board. I enabled wake on LAN and ERP ( also tried ERP off also). ERP was suggested on other videos. I also checked allow device to wake computer and the magic packet on both my Ethernet and WiFi settings. Also made a outgoing rule to allow port 9 (as suggested in some vids).

I still can't get my phone to wake my PC using wake on LAN. Help?

Solution
You can partially thank microsoft for that. Microsoft decided they wanted to have their own sleep/power save standards. Should make no difference you would think since Wake on Lan is not dependent on the OS that is running. When the machine is in WoL mode you could remove the hard drive and put in anything you want. We used to actually pixe boot racks off the network so the OS changed all the time.

This is where the bios manufactures messed up. They implemented feature only usable by windows into the bios and allowed the OS to set these.

Not sure. This is part of the reason I gave up on WoL. It worked extremely inconsistently. Sometimes it worked on the first try other I would send many packets and it would work and...

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming board. I enabled wake on LAN and ERP ( also tried ERP off also). ERP was suggested on other videos. I also checked allow device to wake computer and the magic packet on both my Ethernet and WiFi settings. Also made a outgoing rule to allow port 9 (as suggested in some vids).

I still can't get my phone to wake my PC using wake on LAN. Help?
Is your PC connected to the router via wired or wireless? There is no wake on WIFI standard. If your PC is connected via LAN and your phone is on your WIFI it should work. It won't work with your phone on cellular. There is no such thing as wake on WAN. Wake on LAN doesn't use IP. There is no way to port forward for wake on LAN.

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Is your PC connected to the router via wired or wireless? There is no wake on WIFI standard. If your PC is connected via LAN and your phone is on your WIFI it should work. It won't work with your phone on cellular. There is no such thing as wake on WAN. Wake on LAN doesn't use IP. There is no way to port forward for wake on LAN.
My PC is using ethernet primarily but I also have WiFi on my motherboard. My phone is connected to WiFi but it can't seem to find my ethernet MAC address though. Which is weird.

ipconfig /all will give you the mac address

The mac address is required for wake on lan to work. It should work to send the WoL packet from your phone when it is on wifi. You might want to try a couple of different Apps. The guys that write these many times do not actually understand how WoL is suppose to work. These are the guys that talk about ports and ip addresses.

A true WoL packet is send to the broadcast mac address and contains the address to be woken inside the packet in a special format.

There are some hacks to try to make this work using IP but it is not something that is actually WoL and most routers do not have a feature that is required.

AlfaM03

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
ipconfig /all will give you the mac address

The mac address is required for wake on lan to work. It should work to send the WoL packet from your phone when it is on wifi. You might want to try a couple of different Apps. The guys that write these many times do not actually understand how WoL is suppose to work. These are the guys that talk about ports and ip addresses.

A true WoL packet is send to the broadcast mac address and contains the address to be woken inside the packet in a special format.

There are some hacks to try to make this work using IP but it is not something that is actually WoL and most routers do not have a feature that is required.
So I used wireshark. Turns out it DOES receive the magic packet. I also got it to wake on sleep mode on windows 10. Buuuut, it still doesn't work when I shut my PC down. Any idea why? When I shut down, I still see my ethernet port still blinking. I believe that still means it's receiving data right?

You can partially thank microsoft for that. Microsoft decided they wanted to have their own sleep/power save standards. Should make no difference you would think since Wake on Lan is not dependent on the OS that is running. When the machine is in WoL mode you could remove the hard drive and put in anything you want. We used to actually pixe boot racks off the network so the OS changed all the time.

This is where the bios manufactures messed up. They implemented feature only usable by windows into the bios and allowed the OS to set these.

Not sure. This is part of the reason I gave up on WoL. It worked extremely inconsistently. Sometimes it worked on the first try other I would send many packets and it would work and others it would never work. If I cleared the CMOS it would magically work again.

Microsoft basically won I just let it use low power sleep modes. I guess the reason I really gave up was when I actually measured the power use between the low power modes and WoL there was very little difference.

Solution