[SOLVED] Wall Ethernet port slower than hardwired google wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmat1050

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
So we recently built a house and moved in and had our internet setup. The way the house was wired was kind of weird. All the ethernet cables run to the basement from whichever room they originate. We have Fios gigabit and the ONT is on the main floor where our living room/tv is. The verizon router is there as well. We have an ethernet cable going from the verizon router to the wall ethernet which runs to the basement. That ethernet is then connected to a gigabit switch which also has the other ethernet cables connected to it from the other parts of the house. I also have google wifi bc the verizon router doesn't have good signal upstairs where my room is. I hardwired the google wifi puck that I have upstairs to the wall ethernet port and I hardwired my desktop computer to the google wifi. When I checked the speed on my desktop I was getting almost 300 download, which is fine with me but when I connect the desktop directly to the wall ethernet my speed drops to 92 download. The ethernet cables running in the walls are cat6 so I'm not sure why the speed drops so much and why I get a faster speed when I directly wire to the google wifi puck. Also when I am on wifi on the main floor next to the verizon router and main google wifi AP I get speeds of almost 500 download but when I am on wifi upstairs my speed is only 90. I just want to know is there any way to fix my setup so I can get at least 300 download on wifi and at least something close to gigabit when I am using the wall ethernet port?

kanewolf

Titan
So we recently built a house and moved in and had our internet setup. The way the house was wired was kind of weird. All the ethernet cables run to the basement from whichever room they originate. We have Fios gigabit and the ONT is on the main floor where our living room/tv is. The verizon router is there as well. We have an ethernet cable going from the verizon router to the wall ethernet which runs to the basement. That ethernet is then connected to a gigabit switch which also has the other ethernet cables connected to it from the other parts of the house. I also have google wifi bc the verizon router doesn't have good signal upstairs where my room is. I hardwired the google wifi puck that I have upstairs to the wall ethernet port and I hardwired my desktop computer to the google wifi. When I checked the speed on my desktop I was getting almost 300 download, which is fine with me but when I connect the desktop directly to the wall ethernet my speed drops to 92 download. The ethernet cables running in the walls are cat6 so I'm not sure why the speed drops so much and why I get a faster speed when I directly wire to the google wifi puck. Also when I am on wifi on the main floor next to the verizon router and main google wifi AP I get speeds of almost 500 download but when I am on wifi upstairs my speed is only 90. I just want to know is there any way to fix my setup so I can get at least 300 download on wifi and at least something close to gigabit when I am using the wall ethernet port?
The 90Mbit rate is a dead giveaway that your ethernet port is not negotiating a gigabit connection. 99% of the time that is a cable problem. It is most likely your in-wall cabling. Your PC is more finicky that the google puck. Start by reterminating the wall plate. Also check all the settings on your ethernet port on your PC. Make sure that "green" ethernet or other power savings is disabled.

jmat1050

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
The 90Mbit rate is a dead giveaway that your ethernet port is not negotiating a gigabit connection. 99% of the time that is a cable problem. It is most likely your in-wall cabling. Your PC is more finicky that the google puck. Start by reterminating the wall plate. Also check all the settings on your ethernet port on your PC. Make sure that "green" ethernet or other power savings is disabled.
I figured something was up with the in wall wiring. What does reterminating the wall plate mean? lol I'm new to this stuff

jmat1050

Prominent
Jul 9, 2020
Start by losening the wall plate from the wall. Post pictures of the back side. It could be either end of the cabling. You need to look at both ends.

So the first 3 pictures are the wall jack upstairs and that cable leads to the basement to a gigabit switch. The switch gets internet from a cable going from my living room to the basement via another ethernet wall port.

3dRop5A.jpg
QrTTJeu.jpg
hvqJprQ.jpg
otvjNms.jpg
HQCAqeZ.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
The terminations on the black cables in your last picture look suspect to me. I would recommend they be re-terminated. The wall plate pictures look OK for termination. I would recommend you get a simple cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM

Terminating cat5 cable takes practice. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then you may want to pay someone to troubleshoot your cabling.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.