[SOLVED] Wall port Ethernet outlet works for every device except for Desktop PC, any solutions?

GurvirSK

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
My Ethernet wall port outlet works to every single device I connect it to like my ps4 and other laptops but it doesn’t work on my desktop pc, my desktop pc has no problem connecting straight to the router but it does not connect to the wall port, I’ll even plug it into the wall port and it’ll keep searching for a connection. It’s windows 10 btw. Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
It likely is some cabling issue. I assume the ethernet port is in a down condition rather than it is connected but just does not work.

Generally it is one pin connection that is not connected firmly enough. Some machine are more tolerant of poor cables. No simple way for a home user to fix this. The simple testers will say all the pins are connected the real tester that measure the data rates are out of the price range for most home users.

Not sure what to suggest. Maybe you get lucky and one one in the wall plate on either end looks different. All it takes is the connector to not fully cut the insulation. Some of these wall jacks are tool less so you can cut off a b it of wire and put them back in the same position...
It likely is some cabling issue. I assume the ethernet port is in a down condition rather than it is connected but just does not work.

Generally it is one pin connection that is not connected firmly enough. Some machine are more tolerant of poor cables. No simple way for a home user to fix this. The simple testers will say all the pins are connected the real tester that measure the data rates are out of the price range for most home users.

Not sure what to suggest. Maybe you get lucky and one one in the wall plate on either end looks different. All it takes is the connector to not fully cut the insulation. Some of these wall jacks are tool less so you can cut off a b it of wire and put them back in the same position and the plastic cover will push the wires in. Other wise you need a punch down tool. A very small screw driver will work but you have to be extremely careful to not push on the center of the connectors.

If you have rj45 plugs crimped on both end those are a little harder for a new user to get correct because yo must have all 8 wires done at the same time. It maybe cheaper overall to convert to the tool less keystone than to buy a crimp tool and then still have the cut off and redo the ends as you learn to put end on.

Solution

GurvirSK

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Not sure what to suggest. Maybe you get lucky and one one in the wall plate on either end looks different. All it takes is the connector to not fully cut the insulation. Some of these wall jacks are tool less so you can cut off a b it of wire and put them back in the same position and the plastic cover will push the wires in. Other wise you need a punch down tool. A very small screw driver will work but you have to be extremely careful to not push on the center of the connectors.

If you have rj45 plugs crimped on both end those are a little harder for a new user to get correct because yo must have all 8 wires done at the same time. It maybe cheaper overall to convert to the tool less keystone than to buy a crimp tool and then still have the cut off and redo the ends as you learn to put end on.
Sorry for the late reply lol, thank you for your suggestion I will try it out, it has been months now and I forgot I posted this, I can't even get in touch with my ISP cause of COVID-19 but I will try looking at the port in the wall. If I purchased an ethernet-in to ethernet-out (if that makes sense, what I'm trying to say is if I bought an ethernet cable with one end being a plug-in like a ethernet port in your router where you plug in ethernet cables and the other end was a regular ethernet cable) plug the regular end into the wall and plug a different ethernet cable from the in-port into the cable and then into the PC would that perhaps fix the "bad signal" and clean it up for my PC to read the data properly, or will it have no effect? Thanks again I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say lol.