Wallet too heavy?

On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:34:05 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>Check this out.
>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>
>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>service.
>
>-Ophidian

Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
have guessed that would have long since existed.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> "Zac Bond" wrote:
>
>>Check this out.
>>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>>
>>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>>service.
>
> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
> have guessed that would have long since existed.

Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
carefully, it'll be sent there.

Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

--
Ashikaga a27

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>> "Zac Bond" wrote:
>>
>>>Check this out.
>>>http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>>>
>>>Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
>>>limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their
>>>service.
>>
>> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
>> have guessed that would have long since existed.
>
>Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
>least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
>carefully, it'll be sent there.
>
>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

12 Monkeys
13th Warrior
3 Doors Down
Aimee Mann
Alanis Morrisette
Alternate Reality
Angelo_Badalamenti - Twin Peaks sound track
Annie Lennox
Arcanum
Atomic Bitchwax
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Trinity OST
Blue ™yster Cult
Camelot
Caroline Lavelle
City of Angels
Clannad
Cold Play
Conan the Barbarian
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Dan Fogelberg
Dar Williams
Doctor Who
Don McLean
Dragonheart
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege 2
Enya
Erich Kunzel Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
Evanescence
Evanescence - Anywhere But Home
Evanescence - Origin
Excalibur
Farscape
Foo Fighters
Forrest Gump
Gabriel Knight
Gladiator
Gustav Holst
Hannibal
Highlander
Jimi Hendrix
Josie
Kingdom Of Heaven OST
LOTR - FOTR
LOTR - Misc
LOTR - ROTK
LOTR - TTT
Memento
MEO
Message in a Bottle
Michael Kamen - Opus
Michael Kamen - X-Men
Michelle Branch
Misc
Misc Parodies
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Natalie Imbruglia
Natural Desktop MP3s
New American Orchestra - Blade Runner
Nine Inch Nails
Origin
Oystein Sevag
PS Torment
Queen
Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
Red Delicious
redone U5 music
Remy Zero
Replacement Killers
Sarah McLachlan
Se7en CD1
Se7en CD2
Sinead O'Conner
Sixpence None the Richer
Smallville Ultimate Sound Track
Somewhere in Time
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Sting
Suzanne Vega
Swordfish
Tangerine Dream
The 5th Element
The Big Chill
The Chieftains
The Eagles
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Hunger
The Ninth Gate
The Postman
The Saint
The Stand
The Tao of Steve
The Thing
Thief 2
Tomb Raider - Game
Touching Evil
Twister
U2
Ultima Underworld
Ultima VII
UOSS UO MP3s
Vangelis - Blade Runner
Vertigo
Wagner
Wing Commander
X-Files
Zeus Faber

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:58:18 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic wrote:

>> Isn't there any sort of free playlist sharing forum/service already? I'd
>> have guessed that would have long since existed.
>
>Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
>least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
>carefully, it'll be sent there.

Winamp wants to collect some stats but I don't think it tries to send the
playlists anywhere. Is there a fan site where people share their
playlists? I'm not into music much and haven't ever stumbled across such
a site.

--

Ashikaga wrote:

> Yes, most of the music players do have a playlist stored somewhere.... At
> least whenever I compile a playlist, if I didn't choose the privacy option
> carefully, it'll be sent there.
>
> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.

VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.

Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

Here's a couple of mine:

Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg

Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
(The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:33:41 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>
wrote:

>My tastes are somewhat esoteric. Although I have been known to indulge
>in Black Metal from time to time, most of my music is late 60s, early 70s
>progressive rock. I'm particularly fond of lengthy, epic pieces, rather
>than the attention-deficit music that appears to be prevalent today.

Speaking of epic pieces, the besto the 5 times I saw Yes was their
Close To The Edge tour. WOW! We sat in the 5th row, directly in
frontof Steve Howe. After a 2 our musical orgasm, they returned to the
stage for Starship Troopers. By now, everyone was standing up on their
seats, which were of the fold-up variety being on the main
floor.During Howes, unusually fluid solo (unusualy so because he
actually hit all the notes) my friend Mike got overcome and stepped
back on his chair a bit too far and it folded up, carrying him over
backwards. He then reached out to both sides and caused a bunch of ut
to start to fall back. Did I mention Mike was 6 feet 6 inches tall?
The people behind us screamed and thankfully pushed him back to
vertical, saving a total collapse of about 15 people. Howe saw this
and really grinned and pointed his guitar at us like "Gotcha!"
>My most recent purchase was 'Present' by Van Der Graaf Generator.
>This in itself is remarkable, since it is the first new album from the
>band in thirty years, but is still pretty good.
>
>VDGG is not for the faint-hearted. One of their most (in)famous tracks
>is the legendary 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers', which lasts around
>26 minutes. Needless to say it is.. patchy. Some great ideas, though.
>
>Other things I've recently got into (with a little help from Optician)
>include 'Rocker's Revenge' from the Bartman Music Project
>( http://www.bartman-music.de ) and the fantastically weird and wonderful
>'An Electric Storm' by White Noise.

Look out! Here Come The Fleas!!!
>Here's a couple of mine:
>
>Quest for the Sacred Jaguar
>http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jaguar6.ogg
>
>Legend of the Black Sun (originally a MIDI file by KoD.. my recording)
>http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/lbs1.ogg
>(The original is 48 minutes long, the longest tape I can use is about
> 45 minutes, unless it's run at some strange lower speed.
> This is just the first 15 minutes of the piece..)
Sir Cabirus has sent me much VDGG. Nice expositional type stuff.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would
> suggest?

I am finishing up on my yearly list of my current favorite songs
culled from everything on my computer. I shall post it when I finish
it...

-Zac

Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>
> This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
> awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:

<snipped the long list>

POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
PLEASE. :)

--
Ashikaga a27

On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:26:05 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
><snip>
>> This is what I'm currently listening to, well I'm currently watching the
>> awful Jian Gui 2 but you get the idea:
>
><snipped the long list>
>
>POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
>what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
>confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
>PLEASE. :)

I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
all equally. :)

--

Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 01:15:30 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
>
>Great, great movie with a phantastic sound track.

A lot of whistling too.

--

Zac Bond wrote:

> Check this out.
> http://www.audiostiles.com/home.html
>
> Sounds potentially interesting but with high prices and onerous
> limitations that pretty much kill any chance I'd ever use their service.

I checked out their rates and their playlist samples.

$20 (for the service) + $15 (for the music) for each hour of popular music
you can hear on any radio station? Ridiculous.

If they were actually introducing me to music I would like but have never
been exposed to before then maybe they'd have something.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon
Remember, I've got a debt to pay. It's about quantity, not quality.

Ashikaga wrote:

> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
excellent artists are:

Happy Rhodes
http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com

Devics
http://www.devics.com/home.html

Eric Matthews
http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com

Granada
http://www.granada.nu

Shannon Wright
http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>POLY! Obviously I asked for a list because I want to sort of filter out
>>what music I could listen next, not a long list like yours that only
>>confuses me more.... Just give me a few songs that you like the best.
>>PLEASE. :)
>
> I could sooner choose which of my children I like the best! I like them
> all equally. :)

You are so corny.

--
Ashikaga a27

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>
> Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
> been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
> excellent artists are:
>
> Happy Rhodes
> http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
>
> Devics
> http://www.devics.com/home.html
>
> Eric Matthews
> http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
>
> Granada
> http://www.granada.nu
>
> Shannon Wright
> http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
> http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html

Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
those are indeed nice music.

--
Ashikaga a27

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:53:17 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>
>>> Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>>
>> Lately I've been transferring music from vinyl to ogg so I haven't really
>> been listening to a lot of new music, but a few relatively obscure but
>> excellent artists are:
>>
>> Happy Rhodes
>> http://www.auntiesocialmusic.com
>>
>> Devics
>> http://www.devics.com/home.html
>>
>> Eric Matthews
>> http://www.ericmatthewsmusic.com
>>
>> Granada
>> http://www.granada.nu
>>
>> Shannon Wright
>> http://www.knowwave.com/shannonwright
>> http://www.epitonic.com/artists/shannonwright.html
>
>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>those are indeed nice music.
Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
listen to some good blues?

Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
<snip>
>>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>>those are indeed nice music.
> Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
> listen to some good blues?

I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
for liking Gappy music, but whatever....

--
Ashikaga a27

Ashikaga wrote:

> Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
> those are indeed nice music.

I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:

Billy Talent
http://www.billytalent.com
(this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

The Tea Party
http://www.teaparty.com/

Copyright
http://www.gangland.com/Copyright.html

Hmm... All Canadian bands. I guess I like my rage local.

--

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:18:36 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eek! Optician Dragon wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
><snip>
>>>Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>>>those are indeed nice music.
>> Ashi, you sound like a person that should be into the blues. You ever
>> listen to some good blues?
>
>I am indeed classically trained, so I do like jazz and stuff (blues is a
>sub-category of jazz). Recently, I've been listen to Coldplay and stuff
>because that's what my workplace plays.... Some of my co-workers hate me
>for liking Gappy music, but whatever....
Next time you have some spare cash, pick up the John Mayall album,
Stories.

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?

I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.

Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).

I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
off a Canada archives site:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html

I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
the price. ;-)
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a26, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> Your taste of music is more mellower than mine.... Weird. But some of
>> those are indeed nice music.
>
> I suppose for the most part I prefer mellow music, probably because it's
> playing in the background for most of the day and I also like to unwind to
> music. Of course I like plenty of loud stuff too:
>
> Billy Talent
> http://www.billytalent.com
> (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)

Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

> The Tea Party
> http://www.teaparty.com/

This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

--
Ashikaga a27

Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>Anyways, what music do you guys listen? Any musician you would suggest?
>
> I mostly listen to comedic (Weird Al Yankovic), show tune (Rogers and
> Hammerstein and Disney) and other rather light fanciful stuff (TV
> theme songs). I also listen to some classical music.
>
> Just recently I got the incomparable William Shatner's new CD Has
> Been, I like it but I would only really recommend the track "Common
> People" for general consumption. I also got a compilation of Leonard
> Nimoy and William Shatner music from the late 60s early 70s. Shatner's
> take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as an irrisitable kitch appeal
> for me, otherwise not really much to recommend it, Nimoy does some
> passable folk sining mixed in with some really silly stuff (The Ballad
> of Bilbo Baggins is a hoot).
>
> I have also been checking out some really old songs free for download
> off a Canada archives site:
> http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gramophone/index-e.html
>
> I recomend "Cows may come and cows may go but the bull goes on
> forever". It is a very scratchy recording but still amusing. Lots of
> other music there and most of it is rather obscure. I have not
> listened to much else to give recommendations. Still you can't beat
> the price. ;-)

You have a weird taste for music....

--
Ashikaga a27

Ashikaga wrote:

>> Billy Talent
>> http://www.billytalent.com
>> (this is a great site - they stream entire songs from their album)
>
> Yeah, it's a great website, but I don't like punk rock....

I can't say that I like punk rock either, but certain bands do strike a
chord with me (nyuk nyuk).

Similarly I generally dislike "country" music but there are a few gems
like Trespassers William, Lowen & Navarro, Maria McKee.

>> The Tea Party
>> http://www.teaparty.com/
>
> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.

Haven't you heard of them before?

--

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 03:22:09 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>>> The Tea Party
>>> http://www.teaparty.com/
>>
>> This one is nice. Not my cup of tea, but it's not too bad.
>
>Haven't you heard of them before?

No, is it a local band from Boston?