Walmart Already Discounting iPad Air Ahead of Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
The only surprising thing about this article is the fact Apple allows Walmart to do this. In the past, I have always thought fixed pricing was a requirement in order for Apple to provide there products to a supplier.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Another slightly surprising thing is that this article, like the last one on the iPad Air, states that 7.5mm from 8.6mm is a 20% drop. Just glancing at the numbers from a mildly intelligent person should show that it isn't even close to 20%.

I pointed out in the comments of the last post about it actually being 13% but I guess the writers never read what people are saying about the articles they are writing.

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
That what happens when a writer uses the numbers from apple without actually paying attention to what apple is comparing. The 20% drop that apple claiming is in comparison to the iPad 4 which is 9.4mm.

Jonjolt

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
@Cyran

I'm in an industry that has MAP policy's, some manufacturers will play a game easiest way is if Walmart asks for 100 units Apple sends them 5. They didn't stop selling them to Walmart, there's just not enough. wink wink ;) Even though there's court cases that say having a MAP policy is legal it still does not stop any company from dragging your butt to court.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Hrm... Isn't Android a phone OS every bit as much as iOS is? And though Windows RT isn't technically a phone OS, it is in that capability range. The only tablets which really seem to have a "full OS" are the Windows Pro tablets.

I've heard a lot of people say they like the discrete OS's on different devices - which I personally hate. What is the "tablet market" that is installing which "full OS's" that you're talking about?

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Retailers often make money on the back end from the vendor for moving "x" amount of units. If they have price flexibility, they price the item based on projected sales at a specific price to maximize vendor bonuses for exceeding the commitments they made to the vendor when the deal was made. This is why you see microsoft office single user product key on sale for $69-$99 on black friday, sold below cost.

crenelle

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
The secondary storage Apple provides in the different models (they're going with 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB now?) is annoyingly conservative. They're all much too small.

taptempo

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Don't worry, we'll get them one by one through newer models :pfff:

stephenpate

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I have to byte my tongue after trying out the latest, not Air iPad. I switched to Android last year and may get a Surface 2 this year if MS stops the silly restrictions or false advertising about free office, but the iPad is a wonder to behold. Without a case it feels sleek and sensual. Pretty fast response time compared to my Nexus, which is a dog except for cost.

For a consumer walking to Best Buy, nothing looks or feels better than the iPad and an iPad Air will be better. Still a lame box with no connectivity. I hooked up the Surface 2 to our TV tonight and it was slick and simple.

gokuhouse

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

I didn't even check the math until I saw your comment. That's crazy this hasn't been corrected yet. Another strange thing is why it seems everyone is comparing the new ipad with one that is already 2 generations old instead of the ipad 4.

grimtriad

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
<quote>I switched to Android last year and may get a Surface 2 this year if MS stops the silly restrictions or false advertising about free office </quote>

What's the false advertisement here? You get a copy of office, Outlook included on current ARM based Surfaces.

Please note there are multiple versions of Office and I would describe the Surface version as Home and Student + Outlook. (It didn't originally come with Outlook but does now). Just popping over to Microsoft's site and it pretty explicitly states you get Office 2013 RT versions of Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. The RT means compiled for ARM and Touch optimized. May be missing some business features if they had problems compiling.

Having owned a Surface, I don't remember any silly restrictions.

When I traded up to a Surface Pro that did not come with office, but I wasn't expecting it to. I think the Surface Pro's now come with a year of Office 365 (which is still office just a subscription model).

Just curious what you were expecting to get on the Surface that you don't think they are giving you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS