Walmart's Straight Talk Unlimited Plan Isn't Really Unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I wonder when will the "Unlimited" term's definition become a synonym to "Limited"?[/citation]
Unlimited : Limited :: Inflammable : Flammable

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]mika8311o[/nom]Anyone else interested in getting on of these for 2013? http://goo.gl/qXd99One of the best pieces of hardware out right now if you ask me for the price..[/citation]

I'll pass. I prefer my identity to get stolen the old fashion way ... by a disgruntled ex-girlfriend.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
wow....writer should have done some actual research before writing this load of bull....

Straight Talk uses Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile networks. Phones available through Straight Talk on the Verizon network only work with the $30/month plan. Phones on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks can use the $45/month plan. Phones on the T-Mobile network are subject to being throttled after 2GB. Phones on the Sprint network actually have unlimited data....

Catherine, please do some actual research. Only the GSM smartphones through Straight Talk have a 2GB cap imposed by T-Mobile. The CDMA smartphones have Sprint's unlimited data plan with no cap at all.

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]What did you seriously expect from Walmart?[/citation]
Walmart is restricted to the limitations imposed by the carriers. If you buy a GSM smartphone, you're stuck with whatever limitations T-Mobile imposes (including that 2GB cap that Catherine obviously made no attempt to research). If you buy a CDMA smartphone, you're stuck with any limitations imposed by Sprint (which does NOT include that 2GB cap as they offer a real unlimited data plan, unlike T-Mobile). If you read the phone packaging, it will tell you which carrier's network the phone actually uses. Verizon's network is only available for "feature phones" though and don't receive the unlimited data plan at all.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]blakphoenix[/nom]At least in the US you only get throttled, here in OZ you get charged $2/MB if you go over your limit.[/citation]
Straight Talk is a pre-paid service. Also, contrary to what's claimed in the article, only GSM phones get throttled after 2GB because that is how T-Mobile's network operates (contrary to their own claims). If you buy a CDMA phone, throttling is not an issue because Sprint offers an actual unlimited data plan.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Straight Talk is a pre-paid service. Also, contrary to what's claimed in the article, only GSM phones get throttled after 2GB because that is how T-Mobile's network operates (contrary to their own claims). If you buy a CDMA phone, throttling is not an issue because Sprint offers an actual unlimited data plan.[/citation]
Virgin Mobile, Boost mobile, both run off of Sprint's network (CDMA), and both throttle after 2.5GB. It has nothing to do GSM/CDMA, rather it's the greedy asshats running the wireless networks.
Also, T-Mobile offers an actual unlimited plan now, which is exactly where I'm going after my contract with Sprint is up.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]wow....writer should have done some actual research before writing this load of bull....Straight Talk uses Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile networks. Phones available through Straight Talk on the Verizon network only work with the $30/month plan. Phones on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks can use the $45/month plan. Phones on the T-Mobile network are subject to being throttled after 2GB. Phones on the Sprint network actually have unlimited data....Catherine, please do some actual research. Only the GSM smartphones through Straight Talk have a 2GB cap imposed by T-Mobile. The CDMA smartphones have Sprint's unlimited data plan with no cap at all.Walmart is restricted to the limitations imposed by the carriers. If you buy a GSM smartphone, you're stuck with whatever limitations T-Mobile imposes (including that 2GB cap that Catherine obviously made no attempt to research). If you buy a CDMA smartphone, you're stuck with any limitations imposed by Sprint (which does NOT include that 2GB cap as they offer a real unlimited data plan, unlike T-Mobile). If you read the phone packaging, it will tell you which carrier's network the phone actually uses. Verizon's network is only available for "feature phones" though and don't receive the unlimited data plan at all.[/citation]

Before you tell someone to do their research perhaps you should do your own. You're almost completely wrong about everything you stated. Assuming you're not trolling...

1. Verizon based Straight Talk phones can use the unlimited plan. The 'feature' phones are advertised as either $30 or $45 plan capable. Seriously. It's on the box. Did you even bother to read or look at any Straight Talk phones?

2. Most GSM cell phones on Straight Talk were through AT&T. If you dig around in the carrier settings on those phones you will see

3. Most of the -INITIAL- Android phones released on Straight Talk were through Sprint. This proved hugely unpopular and caused Walmart to contract Verizon to release a new generation of CDMA phones. These CDMA-V smart phones (again something you would not see since apparently you did no research and didn't bother to look anywhere at all on the box) are a part of the Verizon network. In some areas Walmart offers the LG Optimus Logic, which is a GSM Android smart phone that has APN settings for AT&T. Depending on service coverage Verizon phones are carried in some stores while AT&T based phones are in others.

4. The 2 gig limit is well discussed on Howard Cellphone Forums. It's imposed by Straight Talk as part of their service agreement with their carriers and it's theorized that the limit depends on how loaded the towers in the area are. Some users can go well over the limit without incident, while some get shut off at relatively low data amounts.

A little research and a little less griping at Catherine would have done you well. :)

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
WTF are you talking about? THEY ARE UNLIMITED as there is no limit for traffic.
They only lower your speed past 2GB/month. After all they say "unlimited data plan" not "unlimited data and speed".
It is so with every ISP data plan. Even if you try to argue with them, they pull out the Fair Use Policy (as is not fair for you alone to grasp and hog all their bandwidth).
Same is with speed: they say it give you "up to 50mb/s" but that doesn`t mean that you will always have 50mb/s... you could have it only for 1 min / month and rest to crawl with 1mb/s... and still can`t sue them!
Read again the contracts you have and see it for yourself. It is not some fancy move that company pull now... to became news.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tajisi[/nom]Before you tell someone to do their research perhaps you should do your own. You're almost completely wrong about everything you stated. Assuming you're not trolling...1. Verizon based Straight Talk phones can use the unlimited plan. The 'feature' phones are advertised as either $30 or $45 plan capable. Seriously. It's on the box. Did you even bother to read or look at any Straight Talk phones?2. Most GSM cell phones on Straight Talk were through AT&T. If you dig around in the carrier settings on those phones you will see 3. Most of the -INITIAL- Android phones released on Straight Talk were through Sprint. This proved hugely unpopular and caused Walmart to contract Verizon to release a new generation of CDMA phones. These CDMA-V smart phones (again something you would not see since apparently you did no research and didn't bother to look anywhere at all on the box) are a part of the Verizon network. In some areas Walmart offers the LG Optimus Logic, which is a GSM Android smart phone that has APN settings for AT&T. Depending on service coverage Verizon phones are carried in some stores while AT&T based phones are in others.4. The 2 gig limit is well discussed on Howard Cellphone Forums. It's imposed by Straight Talk as part of their service agreement with their carriers and it's theorized that the limit depends on how loaded the towers in the area are. Some users can go well over the limit without incident, while some get shut off at relatively low data amounts. A little research and a little less griping at Catherine would have done you well.[/citation]
I've done plenty of research on the subject thank you. In fact, I've been watching Straight Talk since Walmart started it. The information I've posted is from Walmart's own marketing material, reading phone packaging, talking to actual customers (that can be verified as Straight Talk customers) and other sources... Based on the information I've collected over the last 2+ years, my post is completely accurate. So, either there has been a major change in the last 2-3 months, or service conditions and phone availability varies rather greatly (without advertisement) from market to market.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if it sounds to good to be true it probably is

i pay for sprint and unlimited because i use alot of data (10+ gigs a month) but for most people 2 gigs is probably enough my wife who is not nearly as tech savy sometimes breaks using a single gig but it is rare, you just don't do it checking facebook and playing zynga games which is what most people use a smart phone for

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Still better value for using (StraightTalk) on major networks than buying it FROM major networks themselves... anyway you twist it. I mean where on ATT or Verizon website do you even see anything remotely close for unlimited minutes/text + 2GB at $45? ... exactly.

But from what I have seen cap and throttling varies greatly by location and who's network you prescribe to... usually if you are in sub-urban/urban areas with decent populations they rarely throttle. If you are roaming in the boonies then it is more common.

You can always try Net10 (same parent company as StraightT) they seem to be a tad better about throttling.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]I've done plenty of research on the subject thank you. In fact, I've been watching Straight Talk since Walmart started it. The information I've posted is from Walmart's own marketing material, reading phone packaging, talking to actual customers (that can be verified as Straight Talk customers) and other sources... Based on the information I've collected over the last 2+ years, my post is completely accurate. So, either there has been a major change in the last 2-3 months, or service conditions and phone availability varies rather greatly (without advertisement) from market to market.[/citation]

And I work at a Walmart Connection Center (cell phone dept) near where I go to college. :) You really can't argue this one with me. I deal with these phones every day.

G

$45 for unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data is still a really good deal. I pay over $100 for the same thing on Verizon and I hardly ever use over 1 GB. Most of my game play and video streaming is done at home via WiFi. My only complaint about Straight Talk is the steep price of their phones and lack of smartphones. The only one that I would consider getting directly through them is the Samsung GS2 and it's $350. (Considering the Nexus 4 is the same price, but then again, it's never in stock). If I could get the GS3 for that much I would jump in a heartbeat.

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
[citation][nom]caclark74[/nom]$45 for unlimited talk, text and 2 GB of data is still a really good deal. I pay over $100 for the same thing on Verizon and I hardly ever use over 1 GB. Most of my game play and video streaming is done at home via WiFi. My only complaint about Straight Talk is the steep price of their phones and lack of smartphones. The only one that I would consider getting directly through them is the Samsung GS2 and it's $350. (Considering the Nexus 4 is the same price, but then again, it's never in stock). If I could get the GS3 for that much I would jump in a heartbeat.[/citation]

Part of the reason that the plan is so cheap, is because you dont have to subsidize the phone. You buy it up front for full price. (or you bring your own phone via the BYOD program)

Status
Not open for further replies.