WAN IP of router is still internal after adding to modem DMZ

okanujis

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
My network is currently setup as such:

ISP-modem/router
LAN: 192.168.1.1 (I can access my ISP-router's settings on a browser via this address)
WIFI Disabled
DMZ: 192.168.1.2 enabled

AC-88U: connected to ISP-Modem via ethernet cable (ISP-modem lan port to AC-88U WAN port)
WAN Connection type: Automatic IP (192.168.1.2 - I can see this IP connected via lan to my ISP-modem)
LAN IP: 192.168.2.1 (I can access my router's settings on a browser via this address)

In my understanding, my router gets an internal WAN IP since it's connected to my ISP-modem and the ISP-modem assigns an IP to my router. What I want is to give access to my router to the internet so that it displays it's WAN IP as whatever public IP I currently have (dynamic IP) and not just the internal IP (192.168.1.2) and then use the free DDNS service that comes with the AC-88U.

The problem is that I have already enabled DMZ on the ISP-router and listed 192.168.1.2, but the AC-88U still reports an internal WAN IP.

What am I missing?

Solution
You are misunderstanding the difference between NAT and port forwarding. NAT converts IP address X to IP address Y. There is a different form of NAT called PAT that also converts the port numbers. When you use port forwarding or DMZ mode it does not do that function. It would for example leave port 80 as port 80 rather than convert it to something else.

The IP address NAT function is still being done. There is no way to fix that other than to run in bridge mode.

The problem you have is the implementation of the DDNS in your router. It requires the wan port to have the actual internet IP address which is not possible. There are other implementations of DDNS that do something equivalent to whatsmyip to get the...
The modem/router from ISP by default forwards ALL ports not specifically forwarded elsewhere to said DMZ.
Thus yes, things should be freely accessible on the AC-88U from internet by using the modems external IP.

Should, testing should still be done and no port is listed as open unless something connected to it will answer.

If you don't want it to work that way, your only option would be to change the modem/router from ISP to act in bridge mode and connect ONLY AC-88U to it, thus giving it the modem's external IP.
Why only AC-88U? most ISP's don't like you using more than one IP and will kill off oldest IP given.

meaning you would need to find a way to connect your computer to ac-88u

okanujis

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

I was also looking into requesting the ISP-modem/router to run in bridge mode, but I read reports that their bandwidth slowed down when running in bridge mode. DMZ seems to be an alternative to bridging, but I can't seem to make it work (the instructions I've read simply stated to enable DMZ on the ISP-modem/router and input the IP of the router (AC88U) and that should be it...I may still have to change other settings, I just don't know what. lol)

I tried to port forward port 80 on the ISP-modem/router (can I just refer to this as ROOT AP). I'm currently connected to the AC88U via wifi, when I checked http://canyouseeme.org/, it says port 80 is still closed.

okanujis

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Oh, well, no. lol sorry
Hmm, but is DMZ capable of handing over the Dynamic IP from the ROOT AP to the AC88U? Or can this only be achieved using bridge mode?

I read this: https://www.howtogeek.com/255206/how-use-your-router-and-isps-modemrouter-combo-in-tandem/

Based on how I understood it, DMZ should be able to pass the Dynamic IP to the AC88U, but after I setup DMZ on the ROOT AP, the WAN IP of the AC88U still shows as an internal IP. The DDNS option in the AC88U also says: "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address. This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

It should be able to hand over everything, should... since for all purposes, anything coming to external WAN IP from ISP would be forwarded to AC88U

Edit: the IP itself wont move though, unless you use the bridge mode but as far as anything can see, it should work just as well.

You are misunderstanding the difference between NAT and port forwarding. NAT converts IP address X to IP address Y. There is a different form of NAT called PAT that also converts the port numbers. When you use port forwarding or DMZ mode it does not do that function. It would for example leave port 80 as port 80 rather than convert it to something else.

The IP address NAT function is still being done. There is no way to fix that other than to run in bridge mode.

The problem you have is the implementation of the DDNS in your router. It requires the wan port to have the actual internet IP address which is not possible. There are other implementations of DDNS that do something equivalent to whatsmyip to get the external IP address rather than be dependent on it being on the wan port. I have not seen that on a router but many pc clients have it. Since the IP likely does not change much it maybe simpler to just run the DDNS function on some pc in your house rather than the router.

Solution

okanujis

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Thanks for the clarification. So just to double check, if I get the ROOT AP to run in bridge mode, then the AC88U WAN IP will show my public wan ip and NOT the internal one? And if I opt to not run in bridge mode, I cannot use the DDNS on the AC88U, instead, use a service like NO-IP and run a PC client that detects and re-links the new IP to the host name?