WAN over PSTN

Oct 30, 2018
I have a remote site that I need to connect to quickly. As a temporary solution I was hoping to use PSTN and either an external modem, or maybe an FXO type solution. Does anyone know if this is possible? Routers are 4321's.

Ages ago, when there was little to no broadband, many companies made "Ethernet Bridge" - a pair of devices with Ethernet connector on one side, and two- or four-wire phone line connector on the other. It is your decision what to put at the remote site - it will appear as part of your Ethernet network.

First hit on popular online retailer.

You can still get dialup telephone modems, they are really expensive considering what you can get a consumer router for now days.

I would think almost any modern application will be almost unusable on a 56k maximum connection. It will work I guess if you wait long enough and things do not time out.

They still are used by companies to get remote access to a router when the internet or private line fails. This lets you reconfigure a router without sending someone to the site. The tend to be hooked to console ports that are simple line mode command screens that are simple enough to tolerate the slow speed.