Wanna increase the Graphics power of my PC

sandyrattu

Distinguished
May 10, 2016
Hi,
I have Asus GTX 760 2GB and it's working fine
i am planing to buy another GTX 760(2nd hand for $100) and use both togather with my PC. it's natural thing that, my Graphics power will be double.
Or i should go for GTX 1060 6GB(New for $500)
any suggestions?

Solution
Dump your 760 and buy a used GTX 970 4GB from a reputable reseller on eBay or Amazon. Not sure where you are, but in the US market they are selling for between $200-$250 right now. That's about $50 more than they were selling for last year prior to the mining craze where miners are even snapping up older used GPUs because newer ones are nowhere to be found in stock and overpriced when they are.

A good factory overclocked GTX 970 like one from EVGA or ASUS will be within 90% of the performance of a 6GB GTX 1060 at 1080p for half the money right now. It's not your fault, but you picked a terrible time to want to upgrade a GPU! Also as others have said, SLI is effectively slowly dying. More and more developers are not supporting it for...

djluther993

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
BUY. THE. GTX 1060 6GB.
It is much better than the 3gb version
BECAUSE it got wider memory bus, higher clock frequency and more shader cores wich means more performance.
It even got good overclock potential because of its PCB design and quality capacitors and good VRM.
But all of that, depends on wich model you buy.

manddy123

Admirable
Two weaker cards are way worse than a stronger single GPU. (And that's not even considering the compatibility issues...)

If you card is working fine and you're good with it, don't change. Prices atm are ridiculously high, not really worth getting a 1060 for $500;

`Uhhhhh neither. The MSRP?

Model Launch Launch price (USD)
MSRP
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB August 18, 2016 $199
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB July 19, 2016 $249
GeForce GTX 1070 June 10, 2016 $379

There is nothing latural or fluid about SLI. Is the VRAM added together? No. Will all games see a 100% boost in performance? No. Will many games see the same performance? Those that don't support SLI won't see any performance increase. You might get $40 in a performance boost back from your $100 investment.

Whether it's losing performance due to poor scaling, no support, 0% VRAM increase or paying double for a 1060 card, those are just a few reasons I'd not choose either of your options.

Dump your 760 and buy a used GTX 970 4GB from a reputable reseller on eBay or Amazon. Not sure where you are, but in the US market they are selling for between $200-$250 right now. That's about $50 more than they were selling for last year prior to the mining craze where miners are even snapping up older used GPUs because newer ones are nowhere to be found in stock and overpriced when they are.

A good factory overclocked GTX 970 like one from EVGA or ASUS will be within 90% of the performance of a 6GB GTX 1060 at 1080p for half the money right now. It's not your fault, but you picked a terrible time to want to upgrade a GPU! Also as others have said, SLI is effectively slowly dying. More and more developers are not supporting it for gaming, and when it is supported, scaling is often terrible (same with Crossfire).

Solution
MultiGPU setup is not always supoorted
If it is supported the performance scaling is game dependent, max 70% (extreme ideal condition). it is not doubling the performance.
VRAM is also not doubled or stacked.
Power consumption is really 2x the graphic card.
It could have potential issues like micro stuttering, etc.
GTX1060 is stronger than 2xGTX760 on SLI by far.

Agreed. I was going to suggest that card but never followed through will a Google search because of the price difference. Still with smart shopping a 970 would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. I had the 970 FTW from EVGA and enjoyed high - ultra settings. I did have a 4690K backing it up.

We can't see any of the supporting cast like the CPU which may need an upgrade before the 760 or PSU so your PC may not support the 970 which needs a 500W or higher wattage QUALITY PSU. RAM? No idea.