Wanna upgrade Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 plz help

naqqash

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi community. Before asking any question I'd like to say that I was confuse about upgrade title and didn't knew where to post this thread. So, my apologies if it's not a right place to post this thread and please move it respectively, thanks.

Community, since I've decided to play some good "games" I came right here.

I've an Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4500 (2M Cache, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
more:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=30781

..and an Intel® Desktop Board D945GCPE
more:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d945gcpe

along with 1024MBytes, DDR2 Type, single channel single, DRAM frequency 332.5MHz RAM

I need you help to upgrade it as my board (which is D945GCPE) doesn't has PCI Express slot.
Therefore I need your "genius" suggestions to upgrade it.

Questions:
Which Desktop Board I'd need for above processor (assume I don't have much money to spend on therefore I'll continue with above Processor).
Which graphic card I need and/or you'd recommend me.
Also, which is compatible with my Processor and board that you'll recommend me. :)

Thanks for reading, I need you community fellows desperately and will be grateful.

Solution
It's barely worth upgrading that computer. You'll spend $60 on a motherboard and $60 on RAM. And if you don't overclock the CPU, the best graphics card it can use is a Radeon HD 5670 or a GeForce 9600GT or so. If the only item you are going to keep is a $30 processor, you should rethink your strategy.

Why do you want to upgrade? What is it your computer cannot do for you? How much do you want to spend?
It's barely worth upgrading that computer. You'll spend $60 on a motherboard and $60 on RAM. And if you don't overclock the CPU, the best graphics card it can use is a Radeon HD 5670 or a GeForce 9600GT or so. If the only item you are going to keep is a $30 processor, you should rethink your strategy.

Why do you want to upgrade? What is it your computer cannot do for you? How much do you want to spend?

Solution

powerpie5000

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
What kind of budget are you on?

I'm currently planning on building a cheap micro-ATX PC for my brother (he mainly plays World of Warcraft).... All prices are from ebuyer.com and include VAT.

AMD Athlon II X4 640 (£76)
EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz RAM (£30.63... It's cheap but does the job :D )
MSI 880GM-E41 Micro-ATX motherboard (£50.52)
HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GPU (£99.99)
Coolermaster GX 550W PSU (£49.98)
Coolermaster Elite 342 Black Micro ATX Case (£28.98)
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA hard drive (£39.99)
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive (£11.99)

Total = £388.08 (if you're from the US then you may be able to find similar prices on newegg.com :sol:)

I chose a cheap motherboard as my brother is not bothered about USB3 or SATA-III or overclocking. This PC will only be used for casual gaming at a max resolution of 1680x1050 (the highest his Asus monitor supports). He's not likely to upgrade this system and will eventually end up with my Core i7 940/Radeon 5850 Crossfire rig when i build a new PC later this year :)

naqqash

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Thanks. Can that board support 5850 card if I upgrade to core 2 quad in future? If so, how much ghz it'll go along with?

Nope. Yes, as mentioned above.

You're right. But, unfortunately I don't have that much money to spend right now. Maybe later on I go through.
As far as overclocking is concerned I don't think I'll do that.
I'll slowly keep upgrading that system, as soon as I get some good amount of money I'll definitely come back here. :)

@PowerPie5000, my budget is pretty reserved with 100bucks. If I wait about a month or so it can be increased but I can't hold myself from playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield BC2. I also spend 90buck on them as well. :(

Also, please take a look @ http://www3.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/dg31pr
Can I keep that in my mind as an option as my friend too is using it with dual core 2.0ghz. It also can hold quad core but what about ATI 5850?

Thanks all for replying. :):)

I can send you an extra LGA 775 board I have lying around--someone told me it didn't work when they said I could have it, but people are usually wrong when they say that. It's got a PCI-e slot. But like I said, no guarantee it works since I have no socket 775 CPU to test it with.