Wanna upgrade my build need opinions

TomS_

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
Hello all, so I have been waiting quite long for this... Finally I want to upgrade my really old build.So I have a plan but I need opinions.Firstly I have really old and quite weak i5-3470s ( low power version ) , 8gb ddr3 ram, a GTX 1050 2gb ( bought quite cheap and for now it's more than enough for me cause I don't bother playing at low settings and I'm only playing at 1080p, so for now 1050 is good for me, I better wait for normal gpu prices or new gpus...I have corsair cx450m (grey) psu which is quite new so I will stay with him, and lastly 128gb ssd and 1tb HDD.

So I have few plans...The first is: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 which is really cheap in my country right now + 8 Gb ddr4 ram + MSI B350M BAZOOKA or ASRock AB350M PRO4 ? Firstly I though just about ASRock cause it's cheap and have good reviews, but now I found many complains about it causing pc to turn off..If anyone knows anything is this problem already gone or it's better to stay with MSI B350M BAZOOKA ? Btw I only found those two motherboards for similar price, cause all others are more expensive in store where I'm buying parts.I know that Ryzen+ or idk how it calls , will come in few months but I really tired of waiting cause it will take more than few months until I can buy them in my country and there still no info about price and which Ryzen will come first ( I mean r7, r5 or r3).So I guess r5 1600 will be really good choice for future with 6 cores for really cheap price.. Second plan is going with Intel i5-8400 but there still no budget motherboards..Any info when will they come ?

Overall any opinions or suggestions ? I mainly playing at 1080p and I know that if I choose 1600 , my GTX 1050 will bottleneck it but I'm planing upgrade later this year or whenever prices go normal :D

The least expensive approach is to replace your CPU with an i7 37xx CPU. You can then continue to use all your current components. Then all you need to do is upgrade the videocard. Which i7 you upgrade to will be determined by what your motherboard supports and what is available on the used market where you live.

If you want a new computer then both Intel and AMD have their advantages. The 8400 would be better for gaming but there aren't any budget motherboards available yet. AMD offers a lot more choice in motherboards especially in the budget range. I don't think there will ever be a time when the 12 threads of the 1600 will matter over the 6 cores/6 threads of the 8400. When that future day comes that the 8400 is no longer good enough for games, that 1600 isn't going to be enough either.

As far as complaints go, it goes without saying that if your choice of components is primarily based on which ones cost the least, you will have to accept that those components won't always be problem free.

TomS_

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Yea I thought about i7-3770 and the cheapest what I found on used market is just 60€ cheaper than new r5 1600, also my motherboard only have 2slots of ddr3 ram and if I buy r5 1600 with new motherboard I will have 4slots and later on definitely add 8gb cause I guess 16gb is becoming the minimum for gaming/working and even browsing :D.So if I choose i7-3770 I have to change my motherboard and buy more ram and overall it still be less expensive than buying r5 1600 + new ram + new motherboard but the main question does it worth ? I can also do some OC with Ryzen + faster ddr4 rams and 2 free ram slots for future upgrade maybe when ram prices go normal :D..So yeah used i7 was an option but I just have that felling that's not worth..Unless I can get it for like 50€ but I guess it won't happen :D.
Also I stream sometimes so r5 1600 could be even better for me I guess.

jr9

Estimable
Since you are already on Ivy Bridge i5, I wouldn't upgrade the the 3770k if your PC is a gaming/desktop PC. If you do things like streaming or enoding that would take advantage of the multi threading then something like the 3770k would be an easy and effective upgrade based on your system/budget. If it's mostly for gaming/desktop use I wouldn't, you only will get 10-20% more performance overall.

8th gen Intel is the best gaming platform right now but if you are doing a budget. Don't let the more expensive motherboard change your decision, the price difference is $50 at most. The 8400 is better than even Ryzen 7 1700 in games. 8th gen i5 processors were designed to be Ryzen killers. The 8600k trumps all Ryzen processors.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($85.49 @ Adorama)
Total: $346.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-12 00:11 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($185.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($85.49 @ Adorama)
Total: $386.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-12 00:21 EST-0500

The Intel i5 8400 build is 10% faster.

Take away the mail in rebate from the Tomahawk and the two core builds are pretty much the same price except the i5 wins in performance unless you want to overclock the Ryzen.

My vote is for an Intel i5 build. That or wait for Ryzen 2nd gen and see how that looks.

TomS_

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

I done some searching in store where I will buy parts, so i5-8400 with stock cooler - 190€ , cheapest motherboard MSI Z370-A PRO 107€ or ASRock Z370 PRO4 106€ , cheapest ram in stock Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series 8GB(Kit of 2) 2666MHz 95€ , so in total about 392€ and if I buy Rizen in total will be around 350€ , so yea i5 only for 40-50€ more, but...do I really need it ? I mean Z370 is totally not worth for locked Intel processor and I can say that I won't be upgrading to unlocked version any time soon...Also Intel will probably make new socket for next gen cpus..And AMD AM4 socket confirmed for few more gens...
Also I always been using Intel CPU and I'm like an Intel fan :D but for today I'm leaning towards AMD cause Intel said they will release budget motherboards in January but still no info about them..Anyway I know that Intel will be faster but my main thing is not gaming, I mean I game, but also I do many other things , also I will be streaming sometimes.Overall I want least expensive upgrade ( only talking about new parts ) which will be most future proof.So Ryzen looks very good choice even if I know that Intel would be better for gaming but as I said I'm using PC not only for gaming and if I loose some fps in gaming with Ryzen it's not a big deal, cause I still be playing at 1080p 60hz monitor.Thakns for suggestions :) , mainly I want to hear opinions from those who have similar system with Ryzen 1600.

Well, I upgraded from an x4 760k to a Ryzen 5 1600. For me it was a huge upgrade because of the difference. As I couldn't upgrade the graphics card I'm still stuck using my GTX 750 ti. It performs well enough for the games I play on a 1080p60 monitor.

The extra threads do help in other scenarios. I use Blender a lot and the Ryzen 5 1600 handily outperforms the GTX 750 ti in rendering (until I can afford a graphics card upgrade). They should help in streaming too which sounds like what you're planning to do.

The Ryzen 5 1600 is generally seen as the best price to performance CPU available. As you're aware there are better CPUs, mainly the eighth gen Intels. The issue either choice is the price of RAM and graphics card.

Finally, I got an ASRock AB350 Pro4 and have not encountered any problems yet. I did make sure the RAM is on their QVL for peace of mind though.