Want 2 buy gtx 1080 ti but no money for buying new psu only ...so questions..Will have money in 3 months...

Apr 14, 2017
So I have core i5 4590 16gb ddr 3 ram thermaltake 730 watt smart series 87% efficiency power supply....my previous amd r9 290 4gb ddr5 gpu and powersupply was damaged due to overclocking so now decided to buy the 1080 ti ... i had warranty on the psu so they replaced it.... now question 1 will my current psu handle 1080 ti? ...(I plan on getting 8gb ddr4 ram ..core i 7 7770 k.. z270 motherboard ...and psu if needed in 3months).....and question 2 i know my current cpu will bottleneck but will my gpu be damaged or will i face any major problems except a few fps drops if i kept playing on this config for 3months?...i plan on playing at 3840 * 2160 resolution using dsr in my 1080p monitor...btw
Special note : will get core i 7770 k motherboard z270 8gb ddr4 ram and gtx 1080 ti together if by some miracle u guys say that my current psu can handle even this config..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I wouldn't do this - while the PSU isn't on the junk tier, this PSU has done poorly in crossload tests and has trouble meeting its rated wattage at 40 degrees. Strikes me as a bit weird to have $1200 to spend on GPUs and no money to get the much less expensive PSU to give them the best support. It's a bit like tricking out your car with fancy neon lighting and exhaust and then asking how long you can drive with shot brakes.

Apr 14, 2017
Hey tech accidentally touched downvote... 1st post in this website so no idea about stuff ...its written " SPS-730M " in the user manual as model number..@tolis I used msi afterburner
To reach core clock 1160 and memory clock 1525 mhz from 1040mhz and 1350 mhz respectively ...core voltage 100% memory voltage 100% power limit 50+...@dssymborski gtx 1080 ti is 700 dollars...though in our country its sold at 875 dollars...and yeah i knew sumone was gonna say that....Im a student and dad gave me like 2500 dollars cause I got admitted in best university in our country(typical things in 3rd world country) .....i spent about half of it... and saved some money on my own and then gpu died and here i am...just no money left for psu...will take 3 months to save up money for psu...so wat's the word guys?should I just go for gtx 1080 ti with my core i 5 motherboard and psu and then upgrade everything 3 months later with a bit bottlenecking or should i get the complete upgrade the i 7 motherboard ram and then change psu 3 months later?..thing is I have decided to buy the gtx 1080ti and don't wanna wait 3 months to buy everything altogether besides can't wait to play mass effect andromeda. .was halfway downloading when my pc died playing primal...

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

no problem man :) I dont care at all about the votes ..

I have an idea , If your power supply is still sealed and not used , sell it for a good price and buy a better power supply ...

I would recommend Crosair RM 750x ... it has 10 years warranty and is good priced .

tell me what you think

Apr 14, 2017
My whole previous rig is in the service centre right now ...apparently they changed the psu and found the gpu was damaged as well...Im gonna sell my whole previous rig at some point but its gonna take time..and im defintely going to buy the gtx 1080 ti tommorrow ...its been 15 days since i played a game..question is do the keep the current rig and upgrade after 3 months everything or upgrade everything except psu and later upgrade it in 3 months?

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

you can use the PSU without overclocking the CPU/GPU until you change it. your power supply is bad at overclocking .. so dont overclock .

Apr 14, 2017
No overclocking with bad psu got that...is it powerful enough to handle core i 7 7770 k and 1080ti though?...or should i keep using the core i 5 4590 facing bottleneck for few days just to be sure not to stress the psu or do some kind of severe damage or something?