Want a new graphics card but is my motherboard compatible

chiko909

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Hi there! So my graphics card has shown its age and its starting to overheat and wanting it to put it out its misery Im going to buy a new graphics card. Now with this the only issue im having is will it be compatible with my motherboard if i do buy a new graphics card.

So my Current graphics card is the Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 and would like to swap for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970.
My Motherboard currently is: Biostar H61MHB .

That is all of my worries, thank you for answering!

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Yes, it should support the Graphics card, but before you upgrade the graphics card, make sure your CPU is sufficient enough to stay up to pace with the GPU (in other words, have the least amount of bottle necking possible).

"1 x PCI-E x16 3.0 Slot (supported by Core i5 -3xxx / Core i7 3xxx CPU)"

Also, the motherboards Manufacture stated that it requires a core i5 or i7 in order to support the PCIe x16 3.0 slot (or maybe the i5/7 just unlocks the 3.0). Considering you have already had a graphics card installed, I'm guessing you have a i5 or i7.

chiko909

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Indeed i do have an i7-3770K @ 3.50 GHz, quad core! so will i be okay?

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Yep, you're good to go. just pop that sucker in and ride! Ok, if this was a motorcycle this would turn out exactly as I described it :p

Anyways, you should have 0 issues just make sure to uninstall all graphics card drivers BEFORE powering down and removing your current Graphics card.
here is an example of setting up the and installing the graphics card (skip if you wish, this is just for informative purposes): Power up machine with current graphics card installed (can be either the on board Intel or the old 560). Then uninstall ALL graphics card drivers including the nVidia control center or Intel's version. Next make sure to NOT restart, power off the PC instead!

The next steps are rather simple. Unplug the PC from Power, wait a few moments for the remaining power in the capacitors to drain (I recommenced 15mins if you want to be super safe). Pop open your case and remove your graphics card (if any), now insert your new one and plug any cables into the 970 (I believe there is one cable that needs to be plugged into it). Next, close up your case, plug it in, boot it up (if anything shows up on the screen, hooray! it works! unless its errors... :pfff:) Login, install drivers for the card. Done!

Simple!

TRENDING THREADS