Want a wired connection to room

sarwarh789

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
I have 2 ethernet port in my room upstairs and want a wired connection, as everyone else is connected wirelessly. Want my connection as stable as possible as I play online (playstation 4) and stream HD videos on youtube from my room.

The wireless router is located downstairs in living room. however there is no ethernet port near the router, the next one is near the TV in living room (far opposite the router). (Stupid place to put it really).

How do i go ahead and get a wired connection, i want to make use of the ethernet port already build into the wall in my room.

Solution
The easiest way without gutting the house down is to use a pair of power-line Ethernet adapters - one plugs into the router (and electrical outlet), the other into your PC (or switch, or AP).

The fact that there's Ethernet port in the living room still won't guarantee that the two are connected in any way. So, if you are going to move the router to that Ethernet outlet, you will have to find where these Ethernet connections are going, pray that they are not daisy-chained, and connect a switch at that central location.
The easiest way without gutting the house down is to use a pair of power-line Ethernet adapters - one plugs into the router (and electrical outlet), the other into your PC (or switch, or AP).

The fact that there's Ethernet port in the living room still won't guarantee that the two are connected in any way. So, if you are going to move the router to that Ethernet outlet, you will have to find where these Ethernet connections are going, pray that they are not daisy-chained, and connect a switch at that central location.

Solution
Ethernet cables are run in a star topology. You have a hub or switch at the center and all the lines radiate out from that.

1. Do you know where the "center" is in your house? If you don't know, step one is to find it. If you can't find it, then there might not be one meaning those plugs in your wall are not really ethernet (Are the plugs really RJ45 with 8 pins or RJ25 with 6 pins?).
2. If there is no hub/switch at the "center", can you add one?
3. Will it be easy to run a line from the router to the "center"? You don't need to run a line between floors (probably), you just need to run it to the hub/switch. Another line that is already in place will run it from the hub/switch to your room ... hopefully.

If you answer "No" to any of the questions, then you have a problem and traditional ethernet is probably not the right thing for you.

BTW ... a lot of people think of their router as the "center" of their network. I can be, but does not have to be.