Want advice on PSU make and wattage

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Well I just about to order parts for a new rig. Below is a list of parts to start with, please remember I will most likely add a 2nd GPU(crossfire) in the future and will also be overclocking to some degree.
I have run some calculations using http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Minimum PSU wattage 670 Recommended Wattage 720 (roughly)

I have been told by another person that 750w is enough but I want to make sure that gives me enough headroom. What PSU and wattage would you recommend

Here is proposed build

CM Haf 932 Advanced

Intel i7 2600K 3.4ghz

Asus P8P67 DELUXE

Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-Watt HX Professional Power supply in question

Intel 320 Series 120 GB SSD

MSI Radeon HD 2 GB DDR5 6950 most likely add 2nd card in future

Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint HD103SJ

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series CH60

Solution
Both the power supply calculator and your advisor are correct.. A good 750W PSU will be enough for your build and future plans.. And the one you have selected (the Corsair HX 750) is plenty good to handle your needs.. Good selection.. You can of course go higher depending on your budget..
Both the power supply calculator and your advisor are correct.. A good 750W PSU will be enough for your build and future plans.. And the one you have selected (the Corsair HX 750) is plenty good to handle your needs.. Good selection.. You can of course go higher depending on your budget..

Solution

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you Emperus. Will be ordering within the next few days and just wanted to make sure size was good. I also thought the HX750 was a decent one. I just was not surehow much over % wise what's needed is suggested/recommended

Be Well

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Having a modular psu is better because you deal with the necessary wire.I hate having to put all the wires at the back of my mobo case just to make it look clean

These two links show that systems with two 6950s only go over 500W power consumption under Furmark stress testing:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-crossfirex-review/14
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24

Furmark is not a normal usage scenario, so unless you know that your normal usage produces the same kind of elevated power consumption then you should assume that your normal maximum and typical power consumption will be much lower. Even if 500W was typical I think that a good 650W PSU would easily be able to handle that kind of load.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that the systems in those tests were using more power hungry Nehalem processors, Sandy Bridge processors are more energy/power efficient, so I would assume that the maximum power consumption would be even lower again.

750W would be a good choice if you knew you were going to be creating heavy loads which require high power consumption for extended periods of time. Another reason to go higher than 650W is if you are overclocking a lot or intend to upgrade to two more power hungry graphics cards (more power hungry than 6950s) at some point in the future.

And there are other high quality brands besides Corsair.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

I just don't get why people make comments like the one I highlighted without adding to it with what make and/or why? :heink: It helps me in no way what so ever. I mean I even asked for suggestions in make and wattage. I have had decent luck w/ Corsair products, I know some of their cheaper PSUs may have had issues but from what I know the HX has been very good.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

The reason is that circuit design is way better and that it has pass a stricter form of quality test.Big companies dont want you to blame them for a fried mobo.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I o know that I could also get away with a lower wattage. I had made a mistake in my original calculations, or maybe I missed something my second time around. (I think I added an extra liquid cooling system though) I do also calculate using 90% load. I like some head room as I will may change out GPUs to (6990+6970) or even something not produced yet plus add on other hardware

Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX, Enermax.

I didn't follow it up because I am college right now and I'm supposed to be working. I was directing my brand comment at this:
Problem is Corsair only has 1 800w listed
I've got no problem with the Corsair HX series, except that the 750W version has very stiff competition from the Silverstone Strider Plus 750W unit.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I have very good experiences with CM parts, and psu's are one of them.
My psu is 5 years old and still rocking on without hickup's.

Take a look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

Also 80+ gold certified and modulair SLI and Crossfire ready.

As far as i am concerned, dont be cheap on watts, better to have more then less at least it will also serve you well in future upgrades!

I seriouslly doubt that the extra 50 watts is worth the cash.. Especially when this unit carries a 2 years warranty as opposed to 7 years provided by Corsair.. As for the gold certification, check out reviews regarding the Corsair HX 750/850.. They actually qualify for a gold badge.. Moreover, these units can actually deliver more than their rated watts when required.. And all this at a full 50C temperature rating..

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Uhm 2 years ?
Make that 5 years ......
Cooler master can also deliver more then advertised watts ....
50c? Cooler master does it lower ....

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1029/pg1/cooler-master-silent-pro-gold-800w-power-supply-review-introduction.html

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
on a remark on my previous post,

I am only giving my experiences with hardware.
And don't burn down company's if you dont have all the exact fact's yourselfe..

Apart from that, i am not known with corsair psu's myselfe, only know they make great memory modules xD

D

Deleted member 362816

lol.

D

Deleted member 362816

Ok so it easy to tell your a coolermaster fanboy, thats ok they make good products. But it doesnt change the fact there psu are not the best. at all. corsair/seasonic/power pc and cooling will wipe the floor with them. I like your join date btw.

Here are the HW secrets reviews of both the HX750 and the Silent Pro Gold 800W
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/775
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Silent-Pro-Gold-800-W-Power-Supply-Review/1028

As you can see they are both good units, but i would stick with the HX 750, its a bit cheaper, better warranty, and just as powerful since corsair units are overbuilt to be able to provide max power well over a reasonable temp of a computer case.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Sorry to say but what does that have to do with anything ?
Can't tell anything from a person's joining date m8...

But enough of this, this is getting childish tbh

D

Deleted member 362816

Lol oh no they announced yesterday microsoft is going to buy skype if so im going to be rich. That was all i dont care if you have been on the fourms for 1 day dont matter to me. Childish lol why is that dont aruge with a veteran.

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
This right here should be enough for anyone that knows better to co with the Corsair. Quote Hardware Secrects concerning CM Pro"Presence of some Taiwanese capacitors on the modular cabling printed circuit board instead of having absolutely all capacitors made in Japan, a problem not found in Corsair HX850W, where absolutely all caps are Japanese.

I have repaired enough circuit boards in my day to know that when I can I use only Japanese caps as they are by far the best and most dependable.

Sorry on the warranty slip up.. Newegg got me confused there -

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductSpecification.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

As for the 50C mentioned, its the ability of a PSU at max temperature to deliver at the rated efficiency.. Thus higher the better.. All good PSU's do it at 50C (don't know if anyone is rated to do it above that)..