[SOLVED] Want Fastest Drive for my ASUS X99-Deluxe II mobo

Scottes

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
I have an ASUS X99-Deluxe II mobo with an Intel 6850K that already has an M.2 drive for booting Windows 10. I want to add the fastest drive I can get for a reasonable price. That is, the Intel Optane is out, and I'd like to keep it around $300 but $400 is fine if possible. I need a 1 TB drive, the fastest I can get in that price range. I don't care about value per GB, I care about speed.

For what? Mainly processing some data sets that can get quite large (Read 100+ GB, write 20+ GB), but also running a couple VMs used for coding & building. Plus I'm impatient waiting for I/O and can afford this right now.

On this mobo, the M.2 slot is taken by the boot drive and only 1 PCIE 3.0 slot is taken by an NVidia card. There are some other drives on the SATA 6 ports. This leaves me with several PCIE 3.0 x16 slots, numerous SATA 6 ports, and 2 U.2 ports, none of which would be shared with anything else installed, according to the manual.

The U.2 slot seems like the fastest bet, being 32Gb/s, but I can't seem to find any info about using the U.2 ports. What drive could I get and do I need any adapter or cable?

Second comes a PCIE x16 slot. I think this would mean getting an M.2 adapter card and an M.2 drive. If so, is there a preferred card that is faster than others, or more compatible with Win10, or more stable, etc?

Lastly, the SATA 6 ports, but I'm really hoping that the U.2 or PCIE slots would be better.

Any info or suggestions appreciated.