[SOLVED] Want more FPS and smoother gameplay for competitive fortnite but I’m not sure what I should upgrade in my PC HELP pls?!!

May 1, 2020
I have an IBUYPOWER prebuilt pc, specs are
Intel i5-9400f 2.9 base clock speed
nvidia geoforce gtx 1660 6GB
240 GB Solid State Drive
1 TB sata Hard drive

also I use a 240 hz monitor and I keep my storage use under 60%

Solution
500Gb+ NVMe like a Samsung 970 Evo Plus for boot/OS drive, keep Steam and other main files there, and anything Fortnite related.

For cpu, a 9700k. The cpu pre-renders all frames before it gets shipped to the gpu, so with the gpu as a secondary consideration due to competition , fps limits will be reached by the cpu. Stronger cpu = more fps at lower details.

Ram should be dual channel, 3000MHz+. It needs to not be a limiting factor.

Upgrade the gpu if you wish, but its not a priority, the 1660 isn't too shabby

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You would need to change quite a bit of your hardware. Sustaining a stead 240fps in non-eSports titles is expensive. For Fortnite:
-An octa-core cpu
-dual channel, 3200mhz memory
-your main system drive is questionable. It's probably one of those cheap dram-less SSDs. The HDD shouldn't be a problem as long as it's a 7200rpm drive.
-I don't believe the gpu is an issue, since you'll want to be running on lower settings anyway.

Reactions: Everydayray

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
500Gb+ NVMe like a Samsung 970 Evo Plus for boot/OS drive, keep Steam and other main files there, and anything Fortnite related.

For cpu, a 9700k. The cpu pre-renders all frames before it gets shipped to the gpu, so with the gpu as a secondary consideration due to competition , fps limits will be reached by the cpu. Stronger cpu = more fps at lower details.

Reactions: Everydayray
Solution
May 1, 2020

Thanks for the recommendations!! Was wondering if an Intel i59600k would help my frames since since the base clock speed is 3.6 compared to the one I have right now at 2.9 or is more cores more important?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. What's important is that cores or I should say lack of cores, shouldn't be a limiting factor. Fortnite can use 8 threads if they are available, but will run almost as well on 2 or 6. It's when you start adding on the other stuff like discord or TeamSpeak, Skype or even streaming, the lower thread counts suffer. As do fps.

Apart from which, the 9700k will boost to 4.9GHz, somewhat faster than either of your suggestions.