[SOLVED] Want to add another 16GB of ram to equal 32GB, but not sure if they'll play nice together.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi

I'm building a new system (desktop) and I want to use the old one for rendering stuff. My main issue with this current PC is that Reolve uses up all 16GB (or what Windows doesn't take) in less then 40min of rendered video.

I'll need another 2 8GB sticks, but my current ram is PC3-10700 (667 MHz) CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 which Corsair actually stopped making even during the DD3 days.

Timing options are on my current ram are,

JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-17-22 @ 457 MHz
JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-26 @ 533 MHz
JEDEC #3 9.0-9-9-24-33 @ 666 MHz
XMP profile XMP-1600
Specification PC3-12800

XMP timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-CR @ frequency (voltage)
XMP #1 6.0-6-6-16-27-2T @ 533 MHz (1.500 Volts)
XMP #2 9.0-9-9-24-41-2T @ 800 MHz (1.500 Volts)

One issue is that I remember that back when they made a memory compatiabiltiy list for my MB (Asus z97m Plus) there very few 8GBx4 options listed. I know 2 16GBs would have better compatability, and I don't know how much I might have to lower my current ram to make it work with another type of ram. My best bet would be to stick to Corsair, but that's no guarantee of success. I'd rather spend $100ca then over $200 for 32GB, but I honestly don't know how this MB does with 4 8GB sticks.

Solution
Actually I'm in Canada, which is another issue. Sorry. I put a price and ca, but I didn't say it specifically.

Also, we're in a lock-down up here. There is no "going into" a store that isn't selling food or pharmacy stuff. Also, I live in a small town anyways. :/

Asking the company is probably my best bet, but I've found most companies will give you a sort of "non-answer." Something like, "It may work, we couldn't say for sure." :/

Oh, and the current system is an i5 4790k... I think. lol :)
This memory.
https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820233299

And yes nobody that knows anything will guarantee it will work with the other but DDR3 was much more forgiving than DDR4 unless you tried to mix...

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Ram can be funny, especially on newer AMD platforms. I would goto a big box retailer-honestly, the only one I can think of is MicroCenter (RIP CompUSA,ComputerCity, et al) and explain what you are doing with the RAM. Then the key is to ask if you can return it for exchange or rufund if it doesn't work.

Odds are they will say yes. Then of course,open the packaging carefully.

And get a name of the kid that tells you yes.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Ram can be funny, especially on newer AMD platforms. I would goto a big box retailer-honestly, the only one I can think of is MicroCenter (RIP CompUSA,ComputerCity, et al) and explain what you are doing with the RAM. Then the key is to ask if you can return it for exchange or rufund if it doesn't work.

Odds are they will say yes. Then of course,open the packaging carefully.

And get a name of the kid that tells you yes.
Oh,wait a minute. I doubt if the Big Box retailers are going to have DDR3.
But you could email Crucial or Kingston,asking the same questions, and then you would have a record of their response.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Actually I'm in Canada, which is another issue. Sorry. I put a price and ca, but I didn't say it specifically.

Also, we're in a lock-down up here. There is no "going into" a store that isn't selling food or pharmacy stuff. Also, I live in a small town anyways. :/

Asking the company is probably my best bet, but I've found most companies will give you a sort of "non-answer." Something like, "It may work, we couldn't say for sure." :/

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

This memory.
https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820233299

And yes nobody that knows anything will guarantee it will work with the other but DDR3 was much more forgiving than DDR4 unless you tried to mix different density.

Reactions: ClapTrapper
Solution

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020

I still try to nail down a commitment. Tell them you will buy it if you can return it. Politely,of course: you are Canadian. Btw,I wish you guys would start exporting some of that politeness-many other countries could use it! ;>