[SOLVED] Want to build a cheap 3000G system. Got a couple of questions regarding compatability and future upgrades.

Oct 29, 2019
Hello all,

I've been trying to get slightly more informed about system building, and try to get a general idea of what is compatible with what, and general things such as bottlenecking etc because I want to build my first pc. So, my plan is to build a new system, that will initally be extremely cheap, and look to upgrade in the future when I have more money.
So, my initial plan is to build a Athlon 3000G system, with good memory that can be carried into a future build, and decent storage and mobo that can also be carried forward. The idea of this system is that I have cheaper items such as the memory and motherboard already set up to run in the future as my curent budget is very low and I need a new system quite badly, and when I get more money I can add some good components such as a better CPU (maybe a ryzen 5 1600) and a decent GPU (1660 GTX Gaming 6GB).

This is how my list looks thus far:

CPU : AMD Athlon 3000G
GPU : N/A - using the integrated graphics in the athlon for now
Mobo: Gigabyte A320M-S2H
Memory : Any sort of good 2x8G 3200mHz kit, curently looking at patriot viper steel 2x8 3200mHz
Storage : Kingston A400 480GB SSD 2.5" and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Recently bought a Corsair 550VS 80+ W
Case: Any sort of case that has decent airflow and won't cost that much would do great, just looking around for anything around £30-40.

No peripherals or monitors needed. Windows 10 License already bought.

Now, my questions about this system are:
  1. I know this isn't the best processor, but I was wondering if there are any graphics cards out there that won't bottleneck as hard, if I were to just pair it with a discrete GPU in the future? I know, there are processors out there that don't cost as much such as the 1600AF, but I am just wondering if there is any way to pair this with any sort of GPU that wouldn't bottleneck as hard.
  2. I'm still struggling to understand the concept of speed compatability between Mobo and Memory. Do different mobo's have a max speed that they can run the memory at? I keep looking at different mobos but none seem to have any sort of speed limit. If there are speed limits, would it just not work with a memory that is faster than the speed it can handle? Would any harm be done to the components?
  3. Do you have any suggestions of what I could add or remove? Or anything that may make the initial build even cheaper? I'm looking at spending no more than £250 initially (excluding the PSU which I have already bought). I'm happy to take any advice or any criticism :).

Last edited:
Solution
Be careful to check the "CPU Compatibility List" for the mobo you're going to buy and pay attention to the BIOS version that supports the 3000G. They're only guaranteed to ship with the lowest BIOS version listed. If your board doesn't ship with a compatible BIOS, you'll need a older gen CPU to use to update the BIOS before you can use the 3000G.

I don't think an A320 mobo is a great idea. I would instead shoot for a B450 one.

Have you actually priced out your component list? It adds up to more than your budget. I'm seeing a total of £300 for the parts you've listed above.

Anyway:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor (£45.09 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450M...
Be careful to check the "CPU Compatibility List" for the mobo you're going to buy and pay attention to the BIOS version that supports the 3000G. They're only guaranteed to ship with the lowest BIOS version listed. If your board doesn't ship with a compatible BIOS, you'll need a older gen CPU to use to update the BIOS before you can use the 3000G.

I don't think an A320 mobo is a great idea. I would instead shoot for a B450 one.

Have you actually priced out your component list? It adds up to more than your budget. I'm seeing a total of £300 for the parts you've listed above.

Anyway:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor (£45.09 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£44.64 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£70.45 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.96 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cougar MG130-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£37.21 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £320.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-05 16:08 BST+0100

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer and thanks for the parts list. I am aware of the bios compatability issues between mobo and processor. I think there are plenty of places where I could get the bios updated if I don't have the right processor for not that big of a fee if I am correct, so I don't think that would be a big issue. I do see your point though, rather than spending that money on an update it'd be better to spend it on a better motherboard. Thank you for your advice, I am definitely considering a B450 one, since the price difference isn't that big, plus it has room to be updated in the future. When I first made my parts list, the total was hovering around £260, I think it may have risen in the mean time. I was thinking of just ditching the HDD and sticking with just the SSD for now (since I don't really have a lot of data to back up or many really big games). Any idea about the whole memory speed and mobo compatability issues though? Do motherboards have a speed limit?