want to build a cheap computer for overlocking

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
First off i would like to say hello to everyone here. This is my first time posting at these forums.
I have been coming to tom's hardware for a long time now, and often visited the forums on the homepage, but just today decided to register.

Also if this post needs to be moved to a different section please do so and i appologize in advance

My goal is relatively simple. I have been working on computers for roughly 6 to 8 years, however it has come to my attention that through this whole time i have never learned to overlock a computer to the full potential.

The system i have was built myself and is listed below
Athlon 64 X2 4200
2Gigs of DDR 400 RAM (can't remember what brand)
Nvidia 7800GTX
Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO SLI
Sound Blaster Life

I have tried to overclock this computer without raising the voltage. I can't get it to overclock to 2.4Ghz without the bios freezing, or windows going to blue screen (using easy tune). I have read bad reviews regarding overlocking with this motherboard, and seeing as how the processor is about $400 dollars i don't want to risk damaging it by rasing the voltage

SO

what i want to do is buld a cheap computer, but a computer that i can overclock and play with, and if the processor fries, it wont be a huge chunk of money totally wasted, and i can buy another processor without going broke. I would like to build a system that if i tweak it correctly i can overlock to insane amounts (if this is possible). I would like to spend no more then $400.00 on this system, perferably less. This system will mainly be used for learning purposes, so a fancy video card really isn't needed, maybe like a ti4200 or something, who knows.

The reason i am asking people here is because i have always had bad luck at purchasing motherboards and other hardware that is capable of overclocking well, and i'm hoping people here can suggest a system for me to build (i would be purchasing the components a few at a time).

I don't understand all of the options in the bios even on my new motherboard. I understand FSB X multiplyer = CPU speed. I also know hyperthreading has something to do with it (had some options like x5 = 1000 in my bios), also i think i've read by raising ur FSB u inherntly raise the voltage on ur other devices (or something along those lines ?)

Everyone who responds i want to say in advance thank you for all the help and i appreciate it very very much, THANKS !

sabenfox

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
There are a plethora of overclocking How-To's and Guides floating around the web, spending some time documenting yourself will yeild better results than building a (possibly) sacrificial 'rig.

THGC does have such such a thread stickied on the CPU Overclocking forum that you can find Here

The main reason why your overclocking attemps failed is that you are trying to crudely pump the FSB up (or worst, relying on "automated" overclocking features to do so) while completely disregarding all other factors such as HTT (HyperTransport, not Hyper Threading, an Intel technology), memory limitations (timings, number of banks, frequency tolerance & ratio) and voltage (a few 10th of a volt more won't kill a CPU).

First off, find out what timings your memory is rated for (use CPU-Z and/or identify the manufacturer, model and revision). This is vital since memory will most likely be a limiting factor.

Second, consider that running 4 memory modules (are you running four doublesided 512MB modules) will severly limit your options due to the stress 8 banks of memory put on the memory controller.

Third, drop the Hypertransport multiplier down to 4x (up to 250MHz) or 3x (up to 300ish), so you don't exceed 1000MHz.

As I mentionned it before, a few 10th of a Volt won't damage your CPU, as long as you keep it reasoneable (1.55V on air cooling) and keep an eye on your CPU temperature.

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
thank you very much for your help sid, i will try that and i will see what i can find regarding my memory timings, i'll also be sure to read that link you sent thoroughly, thanks again !

TRENDING THREADS