[SOLVED] Want to Build a New Gaming PC

Mar 13, 2020
Hey Guys,
I'm new to Computer building(and also Tom'sHardware Forum) but been gaming since PS1 and Xbox. So this is the 1st time I want to build a PC Gaming setup. My requirements are Fast 4k Gaming and Future proofing a system for atleast 5 years.
Here's what I found so far to build my PC:
Motherboard; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MASTER.

CPU; Intel Core i9-9900K.

RAM; "Corsair Vengeance LED" or "Trident Z RGB" 32 GB(2×16GB).

GraphicCard; Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

HDD; Seagate FireCuda2TB (×4 cuz I do photography and stuff so I need more hard drive space).

SSD; Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS and WINDOWS 10PRO on same SSD.

PowerSupply; Corsair RM850x.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help/guide my build. My Budget is 5grand(can go bit higher if needed).
Thank You!

Solution
I see... some folks aren't aware of those things, with apparently most making unreal expectations out of their next build or upgrade.

Well, since 4K gaming is almost entirely gpu bound, the 9900K's speed edge diminishes. If you were aiming for 1080p 240, then the purchase would be more reasonable, if only a little.
Due to how gpu-intensive 4K is, you're going to be cycling through gpus more often than anything else in your build, even with the 2080Ti. How long it'll be good for, only time will tell.
It's just nuts how much Nvidia's charging for that thing when it's not that big of a step up from the gpu below it - 2080 Super. But if you want the best 4K experience, there's nothing better.

My suggestion:
Cpu: Ryzen 3700X
Cpu cooler...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($1234.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($128.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2173.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 19:21 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($1234.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2288.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 19:22 EDT-0400

Either of the above. No need to spend 5 grand - they'd all perform the same anyway, because the gpu is the limitation at 4K.

Mar 13, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2173.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 19:21 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2288.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 19:22 EDT-0400

Either of the above. No need to spend 5 grand - they'd all perform the same anyway, because the gpu is the limitation at 4K.

Can you tell me about the i9 Processors and also is MSI Tomahawk motherboard is better and newer than Z390 Aorus Master?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can you tell me about the i9 Processors
9900K:
+Fast
-Expensive for what it offers compared to the competition
-Needs exotic cooling. 280mm - 360mm or custom loop if overclocking. Top of the line air coolers can barely keep it in check.
-Sucks power

9900KS:
+Fast
-Just as expensive
-Exotic cooling still recommended. A top of the line air cooler would have an easier time with it though, sans overclocking.
-A little more power efficient than the 9900K, but still a power hog.
-Is currently price gouged to the moon due to supply shortages

Ryzen 3700X:
+Fast
+Far better value, rivals the 9900K in games - before overclock, and stomps it in most productivity apps
+Isn't a space heater; cooler options are many.
+Very power efficient; can be run on a 50USD air cooler if desired.
=No overclocking headroom on the cpu itself. The trick to min-maxing performance lies in the memory speed, memory timings, and cpu cooling.

is MSI Tomahawk motherboard is better and newer than Z390 Aorus Master?
The B450 Tomahawk and Z390 Aorus Master can't be compared in that manner. They're for 2 completely different platforms.

Unless, you meant Z390 Tomahawk?
MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk Review
Z390 Aorus Master Review

Reactions: GarrettL
To add to the above. 4K gaming doesn’t need the fastest cpu. At 4K the FPS won’t be anywhere near as high as gaming at 1440p or 1080p as the gpu has so much more work to do. CPU work for games is closely linked to FPS, the higher the FPS the more cpu work. At 4K an i9 is not going to give any benefit over say a Ryzen 3600 as you just won’t be able to utilise the extra performance. If you were running 1080p 240Hz monitor then the i9 could give you benefit.

Mar 13, 2020
9900K:
+Fast
-Needs exotic cooling. 280mm - 360mm or custom loop if overclocking. Top of the line air coolers can barely keep it in check.
-Sucks power

9900KS:
+Fast
-Just as expensive
-Exotic cooling still recommended. A top of the line air cooler would have an easier time with it though, sans overclocking.

Ryzen 3700X:
+Fast
+Far better value, rivals the 9900K in games - before overclock, and stomps it in most productivity apps
=No overclocking headroom on the cpu itself. The trick to min-maxing performance lies in the memory speed, memory timings, and cpu cooling.

The B450 Tomahawk and Z390 Aorus Master can't be compared in that manner. They're for 2 completely different platforms.

Z390 Aorus Master Review

Im talking about the tomahawk you're recommending me. Also I'm sorry I literally have no idea about Ryzen CPUs, Thats why I'm bit hesitated buying that cuz Ive no idea about it and know no one that uses it. If you want to recommend me Ryzen then plz be sure to tell me something that is Future proof too. And top of line cuz I cant just upgrade it ever so often I live in Pakistan so I can't just order things overseas and stuff...

Mar 13, 2020
9900K:
+Fast
-Sucks power

9900KS:
+Fast
-Just as expensive

Ryzen 3700X:
+Fast

Z390 Aorus Master Review

Like Ryzen 9 3950X ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why a 3950X for a 4K gaming machine? A Ryzen 3600 or 3700X will be plenty.

Alright, you seem to be pretty well off compared to most people, but there's no real reason to blow that kind of money on the most expensive stuff when it amounts to so little in the long run compared to someone who was more 'value-conscious'.
And at 4K, performance is almost entirely bound by the strength of the gpu. An I9-9900K or Ryzen 3950X won't perform significantly better than a Ryzen 3600 at that resolution. They'll be within a couple percent of one another.
As you go up in resolution and graphics quality, the more gpu horsepower one needs and the less cpu power they can get by with.

That 'futureproof' nonsense loses credibility when:
1)New tech launches literally every year, downplaying what you have at the time by a little, or by a lot

2)Competition promotes progress. When there is no competition, progress stagnates, all to maximize company profits.
Example: When AMD disappeared for almost 10 years and Intel monopolized the cpu market, launching cpus every year with single digit percentage performance bumps, giving people reason to hold onto their old cpus.
Because of that though, those same old Sandys, Ivys, Haswells, Broadwells, and 1st gen Skylakes AGED BETTER; they were still pretty relevant even after 3, 5, or 7 years later - at least the I7s were, anyway.
Now that AMD is back in the game and bringing actual competitive products against Intel, as long as no one 'disappears', the current line of products WILL NOT age as well as the ones during the monopoly.

3)One of, and probably the greatest dis-credibility to 'futureproofing', is the bottleneck known as software development.
It costs more money and takes time for devs to adapt their software to, which, by the way, hardware development far outpaces. A 9900K or 3950X will become obsolete long before games can adapt to using 16-32 threads.

I wish there were some credible 4K benchmarks I could show you with those cpus paired with at 2080Ti, but most just do 1080p or 1440p benchmarks.

Mar 13, 2020
Why a 3950X for a 4K gaming machine? A Ryzen 3600 or 3700X will be plenty.

Alright, you seem to be pretty well off compared to most people, but there's no real reason to blow that kind of money on the most expensive stuff when it amounts to so little in the long run compared to someone who was more 'value-conscious'.
And at 4K, performance is almost entirely bound by the strength of the gpu. An I9-9900K or Ryzen 3950X won't perform significantly better than a Ryzen 3600 at that resolution. They'll be within a couple percent of one another.
As you go up in resolution and graphics quality, the more gpu horsepower one needs and the less cpu power they can get by with.

That 'futureproof' nonsense loses credibility when:
1)New tech launches literally every year, downplaying what you have at the time by a little, or by a lot

2)Competition promotes progress. When there is no competition, progress stagnates, all to maximize company profits.
Example: When AMD disappeared for almost 10 years and Intel monopolized the cpu market, launching cpus every year with single digit percentage performance bumps, giving people reason to hold onto their old cpus.
Because of that though, those same old Sandys, Ivys, Haswells, Broadwells, and 1st gen Skylakes AGED BETTER; they were still pretty relevant even after 3, 5, or 7 years later - at least the I7s were, anyway.
Now that AMD is back in the game and bringing actual competitive products against Intel, as long as no one 'disappears', the current line of products WILL NOT age as well as the ones during the monopoly.

3)One of, and probably the greatest dis-credibility to 'futureproofing', is the bottleneck known as software development.
It costs more money and takes time for devs to adapt their software to, which, by the way, hardware development far outpaces. A 9900K or 3950X will become obsolete long before games can adapt to using 16-32 threads.

I wish there were some credible 4K benchmarks I could show you with those cpus paired with at 2080Ti, but most just do 1080p or 1440p benchmarks.
I'm really sorry if I'm frustrating you with my ignorance on PC Building. This is literally my 1st build that's why I'm so hyped and careful about it... My whole "FutureProofing" was to just make sure that I'd put the best they've to offer this year and I can be confident that it would be plenty for me for 3 years obviously not 5. Like those PC requirements they show under games on Steam, I just wanna future proof that. So if I put 32GB RAM and top CPU and GPU like 2080ti, I would be kinda sure that No Gaming company will make a game that soon, that'll require more than what I've at the moment. That was all. I wasn't talking about the Hardware or Software development FutureProofing that I'll have the best of the best Computer for 3 years, I know that's not how competitive market works, I know that there will be i10 i12 or whatever at some point in next years. I was just saying that My comp would be capable enough to play New titles for quite a while in future before needing to upgrade.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see... some folks aren't aware of those things, with apparently most making unreal expectations out of their next build or upgrade.

Well, since 4K gaming is almost entirely gpu bound, the 9900K's speed edge diminishes. If you were aiming for 1080p 240, then the purchase would be more reasonable, if only a little.
Due to how gpu-intensive 4K is, you're going to be cycling through gpus more often than anything else in your build, even with the 2080Ti. How long it'll be good for, only time will tell.
It's just nuts how much Nvidia's charging for that thing when it's not that big of a step up from the gpu below it - 2080 Super. But if you want the best 4K experience, there's nothing better.

My suggestion:
Cpu cooler: High end air coolers like Noctua's NH-D15S, be quiet Dark Rock 4 or Pro 4, Thermalright Macho Rev. C.
Or, you could go the liquid route with a 240mm AIO. I'm not a fan of them, so I generally avoid recommending them, unless the user insists otherwise.

Gpu: Msi 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. If you live in a warm climate, I'd even be inclined to suggest one of the hybrid cooled models instead. Nvidia's Pascal and Turing Gpu Boost algorithms are temperature sensitive.
-EVGA FTW3 Hybrid
-Msi Seahawk X

Case: Your choice of case is also important. Just refrain from getting a case that looks stuffy, because chances are, it probably is.

Solution
Mar 13, 2020

My suggestion:
Cpu cooler: High end air coolers like Noctua's NH-D15S, be quiet Dark Rock 4 or Pro 4, Thermalright Macho Rev. C.
Or, you could go the liquid route with a 240mm AIO. I'm not a fan of them, so I generally avoid recommending them, unless the user insists otherwise.

Gpu: Msi 2080Ti Gaming X Trio. If you live in a warm climate, I'd even be inclined to suggest one of the hybrid cooled models instead. Nvidia's Pascal and Turing Gpu Boost algorithms are temperature sensitive.
-EVGA FTW3 Hybrid
-Msi Seahawk X

Case: Your choice of case is also important. Just refrain from getting a case that looks stuffy, because chances are, it probably is.
Thank you so much man, for your time and suggestions. I literally know nothing before asking for help, that's why asked in first place. I agree with your suggestion 👍