Want to Build Gaming Rig, 2k Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vanitar

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
This is going to be my first "ground-up" pc. I've bought stock PCs before and upgraded them piecemeal, so I have an idea of how stuff works, but I'm looking to get something that's going to be top-of-the-line-ish.

Approximate Purchase Date:this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: 2k total, taxes shipping, what-not

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the net, movies

Are you buying a monitor:No

Parts to Upgrade: Keeping no parts from previous pc

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Your Preference is fine.

Parts Preferences: Just looking for the best

Overclocking: Never Tried it before, open to it!

SLI or Crossfire: Never Tried it before, open to it!

Your Monitor Resolution: 2x 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A coolish looking case would be awesome, but not necessary, the quieter the better, but performance is more important.

Games: League of Legends, any new games that come out (CoD/BF, Skyrim anything awesome), hoping to use this PC for 3+ years

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: PC is 3 years old, upgraded everything piecemeal except for the motherboard (maxed it out) and want to get a new rig, hand this one down to my wife.

No parts selected already, that's why I'm here! :)

I believe that I got everything from the guide, Sorry if I missed anything! And Thanks for the help!

Marcopolo123

Honorable
For tripple monitor setup = 2xgtx670 because sli has less microstutters then crossfire
750w for sli+ oc is plenty

1 singel monitor= hd 7970
Singel gpu+oc, 500w is enough

I5-3570k is enough, 2x4gb memory is enough

Dont need to use the full budget.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I would rather get the 7950 for CFX since it has more Vram than the 670(unless you want to pay that extra part for 4GB Vram which i don't think is worth it) which helps in Multi-monitor setups.

2x670 can be powered by a 650W PSU(very efficient) while the 7970(locked) will take a 750W PSU. If unlocked and overclocked, i would get an 850W PSU for good measure.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

I agree that the 850W PSU is the better choice by far for teh simple reason of efficiency. If your two GPU cards draw 150 W each and the CPU draws 100W then you are nearing 400W without adding in any other peripherals like optical drives, CPU coolers fans and so forth.

If your computer is drawing 400W -500W total the 850W PSU is running at approximately 50% capacity and will be in its most efficient range. It will run cooler and not heat up the interior of the computer. It will also run quieter because it will not go to high fan. It will also use less electricity.

I am not a huge fan of going to 650W or 750W PSUs for even a single GPU but especially for crossfire or SLI. The main reason I don't like the smaller PSUs is that the cost difference is usually $25 -$75 for a gold 850W PSU like the Corsair HX 850 vs a $60 - $125 bronze rated PSU in the 650W-750W range. When I bought my HX 850 it was CHEAPER than the Corsair HX 750 because it was on sale.