want to build powerful watercooling system

regchamp

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I currently have the first thermaltake bigwater watercooler on my AMD X2 4800+. Although it does a decent job of cooling, it will still get to about 45-47C when under a long stress test in SiSandra. I want to build my own watercooler, here is what I am looking for:

1/2 inch tubing (I beleive it is the largest), at least 2 radiators - preferably ones that will house two 120mm fans EACH, as well as have large tubing inside of the radiator (1/2 inch tubing is no good if it is constricted down to 1/4 inch in the radiators), and a pump powerful enough to run through two large radiators, cool my cpu, and SLI setup. Any suggestions? Could you also suggest a waterblock? Thank you

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I really like my Cape Cora 642, it keeps my CPU at 25C idle and ~40C with 2 prime95 running,withoutfans. You could look at the MORA 2 http://www.coolputer.fi/tiedot.asp?t=1097 and add a lot of fans.

I think the important thing here is your SLI setup. A single circuit is out of question, at least I would not do it, the CPU brings the water temperatur up, the GPU goes even higher, the 2nd GPU might already be too hot.

I would suggest you to have a big watertank, I really like the cape coolplex, split it to 2 separate circuit from the tank, with their own pumps. That way the water temperature will start the same for both circuit.

Maybe a single rad would then be enough, I would probably say It isn't unless you have the MORA 2 or similar big fella.

You can test if you need to put 2 radiator in series or on each separate circuits. In the best world you want to have as high temperature difference with air, so the best is to put both return to the same rad. Then there is the flow problem, who might counter the 1st benefit.

I hope this helps.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Anyway, here is what I know.

3 things:
-1/4" with "good" quality connectors is good enough for that setup, I have tried with a 4800X2, NV7800, 6800GT and 4 Hard disks. The original connectors 1/4" to 10/8mm tube I had were having an ID of ~6.3mm, while the ones I have now are at least 8mm everywhere !

-Normal quick connect are junk, don't use them, the ID at the tip is about ~4mm if you really need it, use air brake 1/4" connector with lock on both sides, they barely restrict any flow. I can send some pictures of them if needed. then if you want to go even bigger 3/8" and 1/2" are available.

-MORA-2 with 9 120mm fans can trow about 1KW of heat out of a system.

Most shop having knowledge of super chilled water, industrial cooling, and the type of connectors needed for those applications will be able to provide you with good connectors that are not restricting the flow even at 1/4". If you then have problems with the flow with good connectors, go to 3/8" or 1/2".

L shaped good 1/4" to 10/8mm will set you back about 10$ a piece.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Absolutley correct, 1/4" is fine. I run that tubing and I idle CPU @26 C and GPU.
I've been water cooling since 2000 and I've discovered that systems with small resevoirs really can't keep the temps down. My system has a 1/2 gallon res., a heater core, and a 500 GPH submersable pump. I also built a water chiller out of an old de-humidifier, but I don't use it since my video card temp sensor may go haywire if it goes below 25 C.
It all fits under my desk, I built it on a board so I can slide the whole system out at once, computer water lines detatch in 10 seconds for the pair for maintenence

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I currently have the first thermaltake bigwater watercooler on my AMD X2 4800+. Although it does a decent job of cooling, it will still get to about 45-47C when under a long stress test in SiSandra. I want to build my own watercooler, here is what I am looking for:

1/2 inch tubing (I beleive it is the largest), at least 2 radiators - preferably ones that will house two 120mm fans EACH, as well as have large tubing inside of the radiator (1/2 inch tubing is no good if it is constricted down to 1/4 inch in the radiators), and a pump powerful enough to run through two large radiators, cool my cpu, and SLI setup. Any suggestions? Could you also suggest a waterblock? Thank you

It's hard to generalize about radiator tubing ID. For example, if the radiator has six 1/4" tubes, they will be able to flow more than the 1/2" source pipe will deliver. You say you want to build your own? Then you don't have to accept 1/2" as the max. Google it out part by part - you can find pumps, reservoirs, radiators aplenty, then route the liquid to computer waterblock cooling accessories. You can even find local metalworking shops that will make cooling blocks for you. ($$$)

If you do want to stick with computer cooling parts, shop around. Look at Vantec's "where to buy" page for many cooling suppliers:

http://www.vantecusa.com/wheretobuy.html#usa

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Myself I like bucking the "trend", during 3 hours of Nascar Sim Racing, or 2 hours of F.E.A.R. my CPU temp gets to 108 F and my GPU never higher than 34 C. I'm using something like surgical tubing, very flexible, made it very easy to route the tubing to the Northbridge. Been through the 1/2" stuff, difficult to route. My waterblocks are very efficient, I can regulate the pressure through them and I found that if I use too much my temps can rise 3-5 C. If the fluid just rushes through the blocks it doesn't cool as well. I've done about 20 watercooling systems with various parts and I found with all of them there is a sweet spot with pressure, flow, and heat removal.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
okay that mora 2 isn't going to compete with the current radiators (PA, bix, bip, HE) due to its design. think about it this way, a huge condensor might be incrediblely bigger than a PA120.3, but it'll not outperform it even if its bigger and have more fins.

the reason why i don't recommend 1/4" connectors is the fact that it adds a lot of pressure and kills the flow. all high end waterblocks (cept for german ones... which are a brick wall anyways) are 1/2 or 3/8 connectors.

your rated 1kw of heat rating can be believed, but consider this. a company always want to advertise for its radiators, you would never want your computer to be running at 70 degrees do you? even though the radiator can "handle it" it doesn't mean it comes anywhere close to performing well. also, that ratign is so out of proportion, no cpu comes close to dumping that much heat into a loop

as to your suggestion of two loops for each graphics card.

water has a high specific heat which means it can take in a lot of thermal energy and not change its temperature a lot. a good radiator (PA120.3 for example) can take a OCed preshott, two gpus and still have plenty of head room. there is no way that two loops are necessary for 2 graphics cards.

and you should be slapped for even suggesting the use of 90degree bends -_-