Want to buy a GTX 1060 but don't know if PSU can handle it

KingOnABudget

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Happy Christmas (and other holidays you might celebrate).
I am looking to buy a GTX 1060 to upgrade my cousin's PC. He currently has a 750ti
The specs are as follows -
A55m-e35 motherboard
A8-6600k
16GB RAM
GeForce 750ti 4GB

My problem -
The 750ti needs a 6-pin connector which the PSU (ATX 500B) doesn't have. In addition to this, one of the 2 molex cables the PC had was used and the only molex to 6 pin adapter I could find needed 2 spare molex cables. In order to create one I used a SATA to molex adapter and then used the molex to 6 pin in order to make the GPU work.
I considered to replace the PSU but I am afraid I will damage something by changing all the cables.
I did a bit of research and found out that the 1060 needs an 8 pin cable and the adapter for that also needs 2 molex cables. I'm just wondering whether the current configuration will work (except I will replace the molex to 6 pin to molex to 8 pin) and whether the PSU can handle the PC.

Thanks!

Solution
I'm don't have much knowledge about these cables you are talking about, maybe someone else does, but i just wanted to give you an option for the worst case scenario: Get a GTX 1050Ti - it does not require any additional connectors, the card draws power directly through the motherboard. If you still want a GTX 1060 and won't find a solution, get another PSU.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
I'm don't have much knowledge about these cables you are talking about, maybe someone else does, but i just wanted to give you an option for the worst case scenario: Get a GTX 1050Ti - it does not require any additional connectors, the card draws power directly through the motherboard. If you still want a GTX 1060 and won't find a solution, get another PSU.

Solution