Want to buy/build a budget desktop around my AMD FX 8120

Oct 7, 2018
Hey everyone!

Let me explain in a nutshell...

I recently built built/upgraded my gaming PC. One of the things i did was upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen so i took out the CPU that i had in there before i did that.. Which was my AMD FX 8120.

Now basicly i was to put use to my AMD FX 8120. What i would like to do is find ANY cheaper used desktop that can support an AM3+ CPU but ive been having an extremely hard time doing so.

Ive been looking at alot of used Dell Optiplex desktops with maybe a fx 4100 or something that i can swap out with my 8120 but all i can find is optiplex's with Athlon x2's (which is a AM3 chipset)

It doesnt need to be a dell, it can be ANYTHING, i just want it to be cheap. Im hopeing someone can throw me a bone here and point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much!

-Kenny

Oct 7, 2018
Apologizes! Totally forgot to add into what I wrote. The old ASUS motherboard I had the 8120 On was let’s say...... Steped On :-/ while it was out of the computer so it’s not long gone in the trash.

Oct 7, 2018
I never thought it would be this difficult JUST to find a Used Dell, Acer, Lenovo, HP..... ANYTHING that used a AM3+ chipset.

Wait......do you have a Ryzen chip or not? If you do, it will not work with an AM3 motherboard. You need a B350/B450 mobo.

If you still have the 8120, there is no point in putting any money to it to 'upgrade' it. the cost out ways the benefits here.

Oct 7, 2018
No no the computer that the ryzen is in right now is my dedicated game computer. It’s completed and done. I’m not touching it. Now I have the AMD 8120 that I want to put to use so I just want to buy a older computer that can support 8120 and I want to spend around 100 to 200 bucks tops.

I want todo this for a secondary PC that I can use when I don’t want to use my pride and joy (My Ryzen PC).

Basically my question is...

Are there ANY OEM Manufacturers like Dell or Asus, gateway, Lenovo, Acer, A N Y T H I N G that has everything together so I can just swap in my AMD FX 8120?

Gam3r01

Titan
AM3+ systems were never really made as cheap OEM systems.
FM2+ is the platform OEMs used, because an AM3+ system would require a GPU as well. OEMs can produce much cheaper systems using an FM2+ setup with an APU instead.

So Im going to lean towards no, you will not be able to find a system to just drop it in.
My advice, sell the FX for the couple bucks its worth, and just buy a cheap 3rd or 4th gen intel system if you really want a secondary system, you would spend the same amount of money.