Want to copy photos and videos from one hard drive to another

Chris92119

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
I have a laptop drive and I want to take all the videos and pics from that drive and put them onto my primary drive. I tried booting into the laptop drive and then dragging photos onto my main drive, but that only works for about a minute until my PC blue screens. I looked at some cloning software, but I really don't want to clone the drivers and bios settings from that drive. What I would like to do is have a folder called "laptop drive" and put all the pics and videos from the laptop drive into that folder, but have the folder stored onto my primary drive. Thanks for help. Windows 7

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
I'm little confused :).
What exactly is your setup?
You got laptop HDD which you put into another PC and booted from that laptop drive?
If yes it may be better to boot to normal system you got on your main drive and just add laptop drive as another disk in that system. Assuming both are windows systems with ntfs or fat file systems you should be able to add that laptop drive as disk and just copy files. That blue screen may be caused by fact that you booted different OS with different drivers at your PC, it's kind of miracle that it even get you to system and allowed you to start copy.

Warning: Only add disk do not let OS to format it or you lose your data.

Chris92119

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

I have a dead laptop and I want to take the pictures from the laptop drive and put them onto my desktop hard drive. Unless I boot into the laptop drive I can't see any pics or data. All I can see are program file folders and that sort of thing.

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014

How come you cant see pictures/videos? If you see any files when you map that laptop drive to some drive letter in your primary pc OS, you should be able to navigate to location of your pictures/video and copy them.

Where you able to connect to laptop drive from your main OS?