[SOLVED] Want to donate old laptop to charity but can't reformat

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I am an original owner of an HP G62 laptop, Windows 7.

I have the product key but not the install CD.

Since it's an OEM I cannot get installation media from Microsoft.

Is there any way to reformat this laptop without contacting HP and potentially having to pay for the media to be sent to me?

I just want to donate the darn thing to a local charity that repurposes them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

J

Solution
The original reset partition doesn’t exist anymore unfortunately.

I guess I could install Linux on it to wipe it and just donate it with a blank drive. Maybe they prefer that.
I was just thinking it would be good to give it to them so it could be booted up and they could have a clean install to start with.
Install Linux on it, and leave it on there.
Or the Win 10.

But any reputable shop (or person) should do a full wipe and reinstall on receipt of ANY used system. You never know what the previous users had in there.

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Install Linux on it, wiping the entire drive in the process.

Or, does the original Factory reset partition still exist?

Or, install Win 10 on it, and it should activate with the Win 7 license.

I guess I could install Linux on it to wipe it and just donate it with a blank drive. Maybe they prefer that.
I was just thinking it would be good to give it to them so it could be booted up and they could have a clean install to start with.

USAFRet

Titan

Or the Win 10.

But any reputable shop (or person) should do a full wipe and reinstall on receipt of ANY used system. You never know what the previous users had in there.

Solution

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Or the Win 10.

Yeah good point. They’ll probably wipe it upon receipt.

thanks

have a great day.

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Or the Win 10.

just getting back to this now. Which version of Linux would be best for a person to install who has no experience with Linux at all. :)

TRENDING THREADS