Want to get a new pc..which?

jhammms

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
I dont know jack about pc's. I was looking at some dells. I dont game much other than Nascar, World of outlaws and other racing type games...poss Madden football too...anyway...i'll probably some download music to burn a cd and frequent internet surfing. Basic word processing/spreadsheet for home use. What do I want/need? HELP !

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
How much do you want to spend?

Most people buying from a maker these days are having more luck with Gateway than Dell, but either one is probably fine for you. Just decide how much you want to spend and about how much of that cash you want to put into a nice monitor (if you need one).

Anything equipped with a Ti 4200 card would probably make you happier than the GF4 MX ones. Oh, and racing/sports games are much more fun on the appropriate controllers than they are on a keyboard, so take that into account when you're pricing stuff.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
You're best bet is to do as much research as possible and compare equipment. Get as many features as you can(ethernet, DVD+R/W CD R/W, anything you find slightly interesting). It can be a real pain upgrading OEM PC's so pay close attention, write down who's offering what, prices and features. I also recommend looking at names besides Dell and Gateway. I recommend Alienware as an alternative. One of the better 'off the shelf' computer makers I've seen.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
You should look into your local computer shops. I'm not talking bout best buy or compusa, im saying those no-name build it yourself customize it stores. If you don't have any and you don't want to do any research Dell and Gateway are decent companies. They might overcharge you a bit, but so will any company that builds it for you. Just make sure you don't order online off some no-name computer store and if you order a dell/gateway, make sure the video doesn't say intergrated. Alienware overcharges more than dell or gateway. But they LOOK nicer, but i don't think its worth the extra 200 cause its colorful...

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"

ARGON

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
check out www.monarchcomputer.com. You can get ANYTHING there and they will configure it and send it to you. The price difference between thiers and if you had built it yourself is only about $150 on a high-end machine (unlike Dell where you pay $800 for 1GB of RAM lol). I have bought one and my father's office has bought two and they are great computers. Unlike with Dell or Gateway you know exactly what is in your case and exactly where it has been (they only use GOOD parts). The attention to detail also says a lot. All the cables were cut to an appropriate length and tied up to reduce clutter. Please check them out. I was very impressed and I am sure you will be also.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you decide to get a low end machine like a Dell, I suggest you pick the additional features that would be more usefull, especially getting a better than standard video card.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>