Want to get a SSD Internal drive dont know which one?

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I would like to upgrade my PC with a SSD drive. My PC is pretty old 5+ years and I have a 320gb 7200rpm HD in it right now and I dont know which ssd drive would work with my motherboard

MOBO is Asus P6T SE https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_SE/

I found this one and its in my price range for the size
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1508358799&sr=1-6&keywords=ssd

and last question if get a SSD drive is there any way I can put my windows and everything from my old one on the new? Or would I need to Install it all fresh?

Thank you for any help

Solution
That particular drive is one of the better ones. Good choice.

Since your motherboard only has SATA II ports ("6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports "), you won't get stellar performance from the SSD, but it WILL be better than the current HDD.

And since the SSD is larger than your current 320GB HDD, moving everything should be no problem.

These steps, exactly like this:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on...

USAFRet

Titan
That particular drive is one of the better ones. Good choice.

Since your motherboard only has SATA II ports ("6 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports "), you won't get stellar performance from the SSD, but it WILL be better than the current HDD.

And since the SSD is larger than your current 320GB HDD, moving everything should be no problem.

These steps, exactly like this:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Should I just look for a SATA II Drive? or SATA III will still work but not its full potential? and if i clone my old HDD to the SDD will there be performance problems? or will it be same as if I installed a fresh copy of windows?

USAFRet

Titan

1. SATA III and SATA II are backwards and forwards compatible. And there is no SATA II drive currently available.
It will work, but a bit slower than if it were in a SATA III port.

2. The clone operation, assuming it works, will be just fine. Assuming there are no issues with the current install.
What specific OS is it, and when was the last time you did a full reinstall?

USAFRet

Titan

OK.
I asked, because if it was a 4 year old stale install, with "issues", then a clean install would be recommended.

A clone operation, per the steps above, should work just fine.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes that will work. Ignore the word "laptop".