Want to go AMD, should I wait for PCI-E?

Drudge

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
My system will be strictly used for gaming and I'd like at least a 2 year upgrade path. Taking that into consideration I'm finding it difficult to upgrade knowing that PCI express is right around the corner. But the question is, will it really benefit the gamer in the near future anyway? I read somewhere that today's top of the line games barely benefit from AGP 8x over 4x. Now how far off in the future would games really benefit from PCI express?

My current build would be based around an Athlon 64 3500+ and a GeForce 6800 GT. I would already have this setup if it weren't for the fact that PCI express is just about here.

Does anyone have any input or info that would lean me one way or another? I'm in desperate need for an upgrade, so much so that I will not be able to play HF 2 with my current system which is over 2 years old. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
What is your actual RIG? This will help us guide you!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

Drudge

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Well, it's pretty lowend by today's standards with no upgrade path. I updated my sig to include what I have.

I'm pretty sure I know what I want, generally speaking but the question remains. Do I wait for PCI-E? Not sure if it would be beneficial to me.

P4 1.9mhz
768 meg RAMBUS
GeForce Ti4400
SB Audigy

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
From what I see in your system specs, you have a comparable system to mine (I have a bit more CPU, but les GPU than you).

I do personnaly think, that the wait for PCI-EXPRESS is worth it if you want to get an AMD64 based system. The first nForce4 based (with PCI-EXPRESS) motherboards will be on the market in December. The choice will probably be better in Juanary/February...

So, if you can hold on or accept to play HL2 in DX8.0 mode for a couple of weeks, you will thanks me! I do really think that PCI-EXPRESS is now a MUST if you plan to keep your system for quite some time. Don't forget that Socket939 AMD64 platforms can be equipped with cpu's ranging from 3000+ to 4000+/FX55 (FX-57 and 4200+ are on their way too). AMD will surely make DUAL-CORE cpu for this platform too.

So, if you want a system that will be upgradable, it's necessary to have a PCI-EXPRESS 16x slot, because the next GPU generation will probably not be available in AGP version (or with very limited models/manufacturers).

I currently wait to buy HL2, for 2 reasons...

1. I want to play it at high-quality and this will need a complete rig upgrade

2. I just bought WoW with a 2 months activation card, so in the next three months, I'll be busy killing Elite monsters, questing, leveling, etc...

I hope my opinion guided you a bit!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If it were just the difference between a PCI Express card and an AGP card, I'd say don't bother waiting. However, it's more than that.

If you wait for PCI Express and then get an SLI motherboard with two video card slots, you don't gain much over AGP now, <i>but</i> in the future when your graphics card feels old and stale you can add a second card into your system have a nice performance gain. :O That's pretty neat.

Were I you, I'd wait. :)

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Any of those AGP versions of the PCIe cards are the same performance and getting SLI is only noticed by the benchmark scores.

However it will be soon that AGP companies will only release PCIe versions of new high-end products. If you can wait just a little bit longer then wait for the NF4 mobos to be released so that will give you more upgrading options in the future.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>