Want to have 2 HDR Capable Consoles with a TV that has just one HDMI 2.0 port?

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hey guys,

So my situation is that I just got a new 4k HDR TV (this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?skuId=5133600&cmp=RMX).

As far as I understand, it only has one HDMI 2.0 port. I currently have several consoles that I use an HDMI splitter for, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the ability for the TV to put out the best image quality possible.

So here's my question: I'm currently investing in a PS4 Pro (and Xbox scorpio when it comes out) and so I'd like use more than one 4K/HDR console with the TV without having to unplug and replug each console's HDMI cables when I want to switch between them. Do you know if a regular HDMI splitter would do the trick? In other words, would a normal HDMI splitter work, or would it make the HDMI 2.0 port on my TV a regular old HDMI port? If not, I'm hoping I can get pointed in the right direction. Thanks!.

Solution
Hello.

Usually, what you are talking about is a HDMI switch, not a splitter. A splitter is to have the same picture on two screens. An HDMI switch is essentially pass-through, so it usually has no effect on the quality of the HDMI signal. Get a high quality switch that allows you switch between the 2 (or more) consoles, and check for HDR passthrough in the specs. Then connect the output to the HDMI 2.0 input of the TV set.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

Usually, what you are talking about is a HDMI switch, not a splitter. A splitter is to have the same picture on two screens. An HDMI switch is essentially pass-through, so it usually has no effect on the quality of the HDMI signal. Get a high quality switch that allows you switch between the 2 (or more) consoles, and check for HDR passthrough in the specs. Then connect the output to the HDMI 2.0 input of the TV set.

Solution

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016

That is not what you are looking for. You need an HDMI Switch. That is a Splitter, which allows you to connect to 4 different TVs.

An HDMI Switch allows you to connect 4 different consoles on 1 TV.
One good example would be this:
HDMI Switch.

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006

Great, thanks for your help!

Adrian88

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

No, that is a splitter (one source signal, more outputs) not a switcher (more source signals, one output).