Want to install a hdd into my laptop

Aug 22, 2018
Hi, I just purchased a Dell G3 17 laptop. I accidentally got the model with ONLY the 128gb SSD in it. I checked the specs and I know I can fit an HDD in there with it. So my question is, do I need to buy a bracket and sata cable with the 2.5 inch HDD??

Solution
I did the same. When I opened mine up, both the caddy and the cable were already present. Here are the numbers....

The Dell G3 17 3779 Laptop caddy is the same as Dell Inspiron 5770 Laptop caddy Tray Bracket D6J2T

The cable is part number NBX0002A000

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Cable I'd say no. Bracket is a possibility. Generally, if the harddrive can't just snap right into a specific location, it'll have a caddy, a sort of docking cage, that will fit into a spot. Open up your G3 and look.

Some laptops will replace the cd-rom with a harddrive installed into a caddy designed to fit the location.

Here, page 36 of the service manual. Shows there is an interposer (tiny ribbon cable) connecting the drive. Whether or not yours includes this when a secondary drive isn't ordered I can't tell you. Open it up and find out.
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-17-3779-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Oct 23, 2018
I did the same. When I opened mine up, both the caddy and the cable were already present. Here are the numbers....

The Dell G3 17 3779 Laptop caddy is the same as Dell Inspiron 5770 Laptop caddy Tray Bracket D6J2T

The cable is part number NBX0002A000

Solution