Want to install new SSD with windows 10, keep old HDD games but wipe OS

Oct 14, 2018
Hi

Ive bought a new SSD to boot windows from. I'm pretty sure I know what to do with this. My question is, once I've booted up windows 10 on the new SSD, what do I need to do with the old hard drive to keep the games and files, but remove the old OS?

Does changing the boot drive automatically remove conflict with the old hard drive? I don't want to clone it, just access the games already on the old hard drive. I'm just not sure if leaving a copy of windows on the old hard drive will cause problems

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
What specific games are these?
Steam or Origin games, mostly no problem. Other games or applications, problem.

The best way to utilize that drive is to move everything off it you wish to keep, wipe the drive clean, and then move things back.
Trying to remove "only Windows" is a real pain, because there isn't anything you can point to that is "only windows".

Oct 14, 2018
They're all steam or origin games, plus some photos I want to keep. I don't have enough room on the SSd to transfer everything

I'm not fussed about removing windows for the old drive, I just want to make sure the old hd version of windows doesn't conflict with the new SSD install

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
The old OS won't interfere. Maybe delete the "Windows" folder.
But that is not the entirety of the original install.

And with your new OS on the new drive, you'll install a new Steam client.
You just have to tell that new client where the Steam games are located on the old drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

There is no necessary conflict having two operating systems, even two windows installs, on the same system, in your situation, on two different drives. You could boot from either one so long as the second install , to the new drive, were done properly. So there is no requirement to remove the old windows but you certainly can remove it if you want. Thing is, as noted above, you cannot separate the games from the operating system . Secondly, If you install windows on the new drive, the games are not available from it. They have to be reinstalled on the new one as well.
As notes above, steam games are an exception.

I assume you are not interested in a dual boot system, just want the games and no conflicts.

Despite your preference, your better choice is to clone the old drive then "wipe" the old one. Offers the best scenario, the games on the drive, windows on the drive, no potential conflict.

But if you go ahead and install windows on the new drive, be sure to disable the old drive before the install.

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks for the advice. My current hard drive takes forever to boot up, it's pretty old so that's why I'm going for a fresh install of Windows on the SSD. I've got the guide to follow and know to disconnect the old HD before the fresh install.

It's pretty much only steam and origin games I want to keep on the old hd though I would want to continue to download steam games to the old drive if possible

USAFRet

Titan

As above, you can designate that location on the HDD as the default install location for Steam games.