Want to keep old HDDs - will that slow me down?

bippukt

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I am about to buy (on 23rd probably) a new mid-gaming PC with the following specs:

-CM Elite 335 or Antec 200
-Intel core i5 750
-Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
-Transcend DDR3 1333MHz RAM: 2x2Gb
-500 GB HDD (Seagate Barracuda or WD Caviar Blue)
-GTS 250 512 MB (already bought, so can't change now)
-PSU CM Extreme 600W (already bought, so can't change now - bad choice)
-LG 19" LCD display with max resolution@1440X900 (Bought it 1.5 years ago)
-Altec Lansing BXR1121

I have two old Seagate SATA HDDs, a 4 year old 80GB one and another 2 year old 160GB one. I am definitely keeping the 160GB one, but I am not sure if I should keep the 80GB one as well. Keeping it will prevent a lot of headache for me in terms of making backups :)

1. Will the old HDDs slow down my system? I will install the OS on a partition on the new HDD and delete the OS partition in the old 80GB HDD.

2. Should I keep the 80GB one too or should just take backup and junk it.

3. Any power consumption problems with a core i5, a GTS 250 and 3 HDDs?

Solution
It won't slow your system down notably. If you want to keep your 80GB, do it! I've got 4 SATA disks running and I can't tell the difference if they are gone. As long as you have enough S-ATA ports for the old disks, the old disks will have almost nothing to say on your computer's performance. Of course, if you plan on buying a new disk, i.e a 1TB drive, you should definitely start to think about scrapping the old one. The older a disk gets, the more unreliable it becomes. If you have important stuff on one of your drive, put it on several drives to avoid data loss to prevent losing it.

I don't really know about the PSU, but I don't think it should use more than your old computer. In fact, I think it is more energy efficient than the...

TheKent

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
It won't slow your system down notably. If you want to keep your 80GB, do it! I've got 4 SATA disks running and I can't tell the difference if they are gone. As long as you have enough S-ATA ports for the old disks, the old disks will have almost nothing to say on your computer's performance. Of course, if you plan on buying a new disk, i.e a 1TB drive, you should definitely start to think about scrapping the old one. The older a disk gets, the more unreliable it becomes. If you have important stuff on one of your drive, put it on several drives to avoid data loss to prevent losing it.

I don't really know about the PSU, but I don't think it should use more than your old computer. In fact, I think it is more energy efficient than the old one, if that is the answer you wanted.

Solution

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
You won't be able to experience system slowdown as long as you keep the system files in the newer drive. Maybe you should also opt for a Caviar Black instead of the Blue. It would give you notable performance increase in disk operations.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
it wil consume power when a power plug is in do you really need it maybe just use it to put downloaded files on or just for a backup of stuff you might need drivers game and program updates service packs have them all in 1 place just plug the drive in ?

bippukt

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks to all of you for your help. I have decided to keep both the 160GB and 80GB ones and buy a new Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM HDD. I found that I have a seagate service centre very near to me, so I decided to go for it instead of WD. As for keeping the 80GB one for backup and removing it when requirement, that sounds like a lot of work to me. I don't like messing around inside the cabinet ;)

I know the CM Extreme series is not good at high loads and has bad efficiency (70%), but I am really hoping that it will handle a system that needs 450W according to Nvidia's recommendation. They always ask for more than needed, right?

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I am running 7 7200 rpm hdd's an i7-860 and a radeon 5750 off a 525 enermax. My battery backup say I pull ~110 at idle and ~200 at peak with cpu. I think you will make it with the power supply you have selected. Those high watts are for SLI and high end video cards more than anything.