Want to know if my amd athlon 860k x4 with a gtx 1060 3gb be fine for playing games (dont mind if not ultra settings)

curvyreidross

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
I'm getting a gtx 1060 3gb soon but ik my athlon 860k x4 will bottleneck but if I want it to not do that I'd have to upgrade the mobo (I have fm2+ rn)
So I'm kinda at a dead end for cpus but I really can't afford to change my mobo,ram and cpu will my computer still be fine for gaming I'm fine not playing games on ultra but it should make a big difference since I have a radeon r7 200 series gpu rn so it's bad and one more thing will I be fine for VR? (I will get a new mobo and cpu In the future)

Solution
While the 860K isn't great, it's still a quad-core with a decent clock speed so *can* game, and should be able to play any modern title.
You're not going to be playing on overly high settings a lot of the time though and, if a title is heavily CPU dependent, you may even have to drop down to low.

BUT, still playable, yes.

As for VR...... unlikely to be enjoyable.
For example, and HTC Vive's minimum CPU requirements are an i5-4590 or an FX8350 - both substantially stronger chips than an 860K.
The minimum GPU for same would be an R9 290 or GTX 970. A 1060 and a 3GB 970 are roughly on par, with the 1060 giving up 0.5GB of VRAM vs the 970.

I'd would not expect an enjoyable VR experience with the CPU/GPU.... or even that GPU with a new...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While the 860K isn't great, it's still a quad-core with a decent clock speed so *can* game, and should be able to play any modern title.
You're not going to be playing on overly high settings a lot of the time though and, if a title is heavily CPU dependent, you may even have to drop down to low.

BUT, still playable, yes.

As for VR...... unlikely to be enjoyable.
For example, and HTC Vive's minimum CPU requirements are an i5-4590 or an FX8350 - both substantially stronger chips than an 860K.
The minimum GPU for same would be an R9 290 or GTX 970. A 1060 and a 3GB 970 are roughly on par, with the 1060 giving up 0.5GB of VRAM vs the 970.

I'd would not expect an enjoyable VR experience with the CPU/GPU.... or even that GPU with a new CPU.

Solution