[SOLVED] want to know if there is better wifi card for my laptop

Hakoda

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
wanted to know if i can replace my wifi card with better card if there is such a card.
Asus x550ca
my wifi card -
Asus 0C001-00052200 b/g/n PCI-E Half mini Wireless Ralink RT5390 T77H355.00
Ralink Model: RT5390
Asus: 0C001-00052200
T77H355.00

using - windows 7

Solution
It depends what you mean "better". If your problem is the signal strength that is not likely to be improved much if at all. If you mean the speed then maybe.

You should get a speed improvement if you put a 802.11ac card in. This assumes that you get strong signal from your router on the 5g band and it also supports 802.11ac.

The largest issue you have is the current card only uses a single antenna. This means the laptop likely only has 1 antenna which is going to limit the top speeds. You will get no improvemnt on the 2.4g band because you are already getting the max of 300. On 5g with 802.11ac you can get the 433 rate. You need the second antenna to go faster.

Pretty much the wifi cards are standard sizes so they...
It depends what you mean "better". If your problem is the signal strength that is not likely to be improved much if at all. If you mean the speed then maybe.

You should get a speed improvement if you put a 802.11ac card in. This assumes that you get strong signal from your router on the 5g band and it also supports 802.11ac.

The largest issue you have is the current card only uses a single antenna. This means the laptop likely only has 1 antenna which is going to limit the top speeds. You will get no improvemnt on the 2.4g band because you are already getting the max of 300. On 5g with 802.11ac you can get the 433 rate. You need the second antenna to go faster.

Pretty much the wifi cards are standard sizes so they can be replaced in many machines. You need to check there are drivers available but you should be ok with win7.

You might be better off using a USB based wifi card. Do not buy the tiny devices the physical size matters because it affect the size of the antenna.

Reactions: Hakoda
Solution

Hakoda

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

Pretty much the wifi cards are standard sizes so they can be replaced in many machines. You need to check there are drivers available but you should be ok with win7.

You might be better off using a USB based wifi card. Do not buy the tiny devices the physical size matters because it affect the size of the antenna.
thanks that helped me.