Want to know more about AMD VS Intel, threads and cores and ghz (from cpu?

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hey,

I want to know a bit more about Amd vs intel. What is the difference in Amd and intel?
Can you use an intel cpu with an amd gpu?
What is the difference between threads and cores?(I've searched this on internet but i still dont quite get is.
And what ghz on a cpu is reasonable to play AAA games on?
This will solve all my questions i currently have in pc's?

Thankyou, Jiry

Solution
Amd and Intel are both semi conductor companies who are entirely independent from each other.

You can use an Intel cpu and an and graphics card

Cores are actual physical computation centers that do work, threads are cores plus witchcraft that allow some work to be done "between" the cores.

Cpu speed alone has little use in determining if you can play AAA titles.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Amd and Intel are both semi conductor companies who are entirely independent from each other.

You can use an Intel cpu and an and graphics card

Cores are actual physical computation centers that do work, threads are cores plus witchcraft that allow some work to be done "between" the cores.

Cpu speed alone has little use in determining if you can play AAA titles.

Solution

Intel is much larger company, has a more diversified portfolio, and has been around longer. As far a CPUs, the product each company makes is very similar.

Yes

A core is a physical processing unit (hardware). A thread is a logical stream (software) that gets processed. I assume your question is about SMT. Only one thread can be processed at a time by a core. Each time the computer switches to process a new thread there is overhead (moving data to L1 and L2 CPU memory mostly). If you can keep some of that data readily available, you can lower the overhead of switching threads. Basically, the idea is your CPU can do more "work" if it does less "overhead".
This is a loaded question. GHz is cycles per second, much like RPM is for a wheel. But, a large wheel will travel further in 1 revolution than a small wheel. The same is true with CPUs. The more instructions per cycle (IPC) a CPU can process, the more work it can get done. So, a modern i7 can do more work at 2 GHz than a Pentium 4 can do at 4 GHz. Moreover, what is important when choosing a CPU is how it pairs with your video card. A slow CPU will starve a video card and your game play will be of low quality. Similarly, a fast CPU with a slow GPU gets you nothing extra.
I doubt it ... I learn new things every day.

Enjoy!

AMD is one firm, intel is another firm (like samsung and apple, both making something similar)
u can use any GPU on intel, no matter brand
core is cpu, 2 cores are 2 cpus and so on, they are so small that u can have many cores (cpus) in a single package, so 8 core CPU is basicly 8 cpus
one cpu (core) can run one thread, two cpus (cores) can run two threads at same time (without slowing down each other)
modern games/apps are designed to run on multiple threads, so with more threads performance goes up, but still one app usualy use 4/6 threads, so u can run more apps with more cores without slowing down your PC by much
as for hyperthreading (extra free threads), cpu (lets say 4cores 8 threads)can run 8 threads, but they have some shared resources so that performance wont be on pair as with 8 core/8 threads cpu, performance will be still higher than with plain 4 core/4thread cpu

so lets say u have 4 core with 8 threads
u run some game which can fully use 4 cores, task manager will report that 50% of your CPU is under use, so u open something in background like youtube/music whatever, and cpu usage will go up, but once your background apps touches those shared resources (1 core has 2 threads with something shared for both threads like integer math/ floathing point math, whatever), then your game fps will drop a little bit down, as those background apps will ninja some compute power from your real cores
so those extra HT threads shouldnt be really counted as something that can replace true cores, it gives some free extra, but not much tbh

last question is a bit tricky but 6core 3.5GHz+ would be short answer