Want to know what is the best free robust software available to protect Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 32-bit desktop OS.

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi to all the experts of or on this forum,

I have returned to ask another question.

But, this time it is in reference to the Linux Mint operating system not Windows - have been using L M for 2 years or more since 'moving' over from Windows 7 after trying to 'fix' the "This copy is not genuine" problem!

My question is the following - need free advice from a computing expert, if possible please:

Want to know what is the best free robust software available to protect Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 32-bit desktop OS (know about the ClamAV scanner and the software must be compatible for L M).

Also, some of the following was included by me when I originally posted this message but someone edited my message:

Look forward to your informative answer and thank you in advance for reading my post.

From Mahjonng.

P.S. Please begin reply with either "Dear Mahjonng" or "Hi Mahjonng". Also, to the expert who has answered me in the past: wiil be changing my nickname to Welshman in the future.
Thanks again.

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi USAFRet,

Thank you for your reply. Also, I am not going to click the "Pick as the solution" button underneath your reply, yet simply because you know as well as I do that the ClamAV is a scanner only and does not protect L M or is not a robust software.

But, if I am incorrect then please tell how to set up ClamAV as a 'second line of defence' or at least to work together with the inbuilt firewall, because I cannot find any information!

Thanks again. :)

USAFRet

Titan
And what, specifically, is wrong with ClamAV?
What does it not do that you need?

"...an open source antivirus engine for detecting trojans, viruses, malware & other malicious threats"

It is a real time malware scanner, just like any other AV solution.

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi USAFRet again.

Also, yes, I know that ClamAV is a scanner - did state that in my first message and in my first reply to you.

But, if ClamAV can be set up as a 'second line of defence' or at least to work together with the inbuilt firewall then you will have to either provide me with step by step instructions or provide me with a website link that gives those step by step instructions because, as I have already said, I cannot find any information online.

Thanks again ☺

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi Mr Bennett,

Thank you for your reply. But, even though I have already typed out a full answer to your posted message, I will post my reply to you after I have finished my chat with USAFRet.

Thank you again. From Mahjonng.

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi USAFRet again.

Thank you for posting the 2 website links - link 1 in answer to my "set up ClamAV as a 'second line of defence' or at least to work together with the inbuilt firewall" statement and link 2 in answer to my original "Want to know what is the best free robust software available to protect Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 32-bit desktop OS" posted question. I will respond to those 2 posted links next.

My response to link 1: Although the link that you posted is not step by step instructions for setting up ClamAV 'second line of defence' and not step by step instructions for ClamAV working together with the inbuilt firewall that I requested from you it is connected to the main page ClamAV website that displays links to other pages that might contain the answer to my request. Will let you know if and when I do find that answer after I have read through most of those pages!

Response to link 2: The "The 7 Best Free Linux Anti-Virus Programs" article is dated the December 15, 2016 (would have like the end of 2017 or beginning 2018 dated article) and I know that, after visiting the website for each listed anti-virus program in that article before posting my question on this website, none of those anti-virus programs are compatible or suitable for Linux Mint 18.3 except for Chkrootkit and Rootkit Hunter!!

Lastly, will now end this message because I do not have anything more to add or 'say' at this point.

Thank you again. From Mahjonng.

Mahjonng

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi USAFRet again.

Also, I have just finished scan reading some of the pages on the first page of the ClamAV website after clicking each connection.

The titles of those pages are the following: ClamAV Community Threat Tracking System, Installling ClamAV, Potentially Unwanted Applications, Safebrowsing, Troubleshooting FAQ, Which version of ClamAV should I use?, Safebrowsing, and Win32 FAQ.

Also, I downloaded the ClamAV Manual to scan read it. But I did not find step by step instructions for setting up ClamAV 'second line of defence' and did not find step by step instructions for ClamAV working together with the inbuilt firewall through those pages and contained in that manual, as I originally asked from you.

Lastly, forget to inform you previously that I installed ClamAV and ClamTK (the GUI?) some time ago.

Will now end this message because I do not have anything more to add or 'say' at this point. But I do look forward to any other links or website name that you can provide me in answer to my "Want to know what is the best free robust software available to protect Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 32-bit desktop OS" posted question.

Thanks again. From Mahjonng.