want to learn a third language, any ideas?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have been thinking about learning a third language that should be useful and probably providing me with more working or business opportunities, what do you think? Russian? German or Japanese ? Or anything else?

2000px-InternetUsersByLanguagePieChart.svg.png

you could take a look at the worlds most used languages.. however a better answer would depend on what you intend to do with your life, work and travel. its best to take something useful that you will use often so that its worth the effort in learning.

if you live in europe, it might be beneficial to learn languages of a neighboring country you might want to live in or work in (or visit) german might be an option if this fits your needs. if you're in the usa and plan travel to nearby countries then spanish or portuguese may help. if you're far east asia (such as china) then japanese could certainly help.

worldwide business generally runs on english (sometimes via translators) although region specific business may run on local languages.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

thanks if I say , except English and Chinese, which language do you think is the most **useful** ?? A *useful language is not necessary a language that is very much spoken. In fact, I want to get rid of a bad habit by taking up a good habit (learning a new language)

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

I can read/write/speak English (native tongue), Spanish (fluent), French (novice), Japanese (novice) and Hebrew (barely). Learning a language takes time and patience. If you're worried about business, then, Spanish and Chinese/Korean is the way to go. Do note, however, that there're different dialects and that sometimes certain words in one region mean something different in another. A funny example of this, for instance, is that in Argentina the word "gorrito" means beanie, whilst in Mexico it means condom. Another great example is that in Mexico the word "concha" means "a conch shell", whilst in Argentina it's slang for a woman's privates.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Then I'll try to learn some Spanish

as i said before, what is most useful depends on what you want to do with the language.

if you want to learn a language just for fun then you may as well go bold. pick something challenging that will take time to learn. korean, japanese and arabic are said to be challenging. or, you could pick something a bit unique like esperanto or latin.

if you want something actually useful then it depends on what you want to use the language for and where you want to travel and use the language.

if you are chinese or live in the far east languages helpful would be adjoining countries. this would be chinese, japanese, korean, hindi, russian or similar. if you are european this would be spanish, german, french, italian, russian or as i stated before an adjoining country you wanted to visit. if you lived in the west the languages to know are spanish or french.

or, you could pick something relating to a hobby. for instance if you watch quite a bit of anime or read manga picking up japanese would be fun to learn. or, lets say you like a foreign music style you could learn the language to understand the lyrics. this makes learning a language more fun instead of studious.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

If talking about interest, I am more interested in Russian because I like the writing of Russian and their culture. However, it looks like there are only 100 million of people in Russia. It's less useful as I believe.

As a result, I think Spanish is a good choice